4 more Quadio titles coming in January 2024! (Titles Announced)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AWB yeah, what an album!!!!! Hopefully Cut the Cake AWB also down the road... had them both on Q8 back in the day. War The World is a Ghetto on Q8... my brother had it, I just listened to his, never had a copy myself... No brainer for me to get both of those... Thanks Rhino and Steve!!!!!!!!!!!!

If only Rhino had Edgar Winter They only come out at Night... and the Elton John titles that didn't come out (yet)... those are Holy Grails for me :)

For those who are not into Randy Newman, if you jump onto YouTube or some other streaming service to sample the album you will probably start with the first song called "Rednecks", which might be a bit jarring here in 2023. Without knowing the purpose of the album as a whole, this song might put you off right away.

The thing is that many of Randy Newman's songs are written from the prospective of the character singing the song, not the artist. People got upset about "Short People" because they thought Randy Newman disliked short people, when in fact he is short and the song is really an analogy about any type of discrimination against any type of division of people.

Anyway, "Good Old Boys" is a complete work, not just a song, and an album about an area of the US at a very specific time period. Taken as a piece of work it can be realized for what it is. Taken as a single tune listened to as a sample you will not get the intended message.

I understand very well that today people do not want to invest time into learning new music. That's why albums are kaput. Everyone wants to hear what they like and that's that. Well, almost everyone.

The main thing is, don't get spooked by listening to Rednecks with it's first person perspective and its use of language not tolerated in today's world. This is not an album of 2023, it's an album of the South in the 1920's.

End of lecture, and I am sure I screwed part of this up, so anyone else who wants to chime in, be my guest.

EDIT: I found a review that describes it a lot better than I did:

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/22308-good-old-boys/
If anybody is up for another deep dive, here's a Rolling Stone profile from 1972:
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...-got-to-let-this-fat-boy-in-your-life-106154/

AWB yeah, what an album!!!!! Hopefully Cut the Cake AWB also down the road... had them both on Q8 back in the day. War The World is a Ghetto on Q8... my brother had it, I just listened to his, never had a copy myself... No brainer for me to get both of those... Thanks Rhino and Steve!!!!!!!!!!!!

If only Rhino had Edgar Winter They only come out at Night... and the Elton John titles that didn't come out (yet)... those are Holy Grails for me :)

Joined in 2015 and first post 2023! How could you wait so long? Nice first post!

I'd guess that the team did not use the Q8's to assess where channels are supposed to go on any of these BluRays. :ROFLMAO: I'm under the impression that It's sometimes found on the track sheets or tape boxes what is what, but it's gotta be a little nervy when a judgement call must be made, or opinions differ.
I meant that the Q8s can and do get it wrong enough that they should only be used as a third opinion and not ever as the gospel truth in quad program channel assignments.

For those who are not into Randy Newman, if you jump onto YouTube or some other streaming service to sample the album you will probably start with the first song called "Rednecks", which might be a bit jarring here in 2023. Without knowing the purpose of the album as a whole, this song might put you off right away.

The thing is that many of Randy Newman's songs are written from the prospective of the character singing the song, not the artist. People got upset about "Short People" because they thought Randy Newman disliked short people, when in fact he is short and the song is really an analogy about any type of discrimination against any type of division of people.

Anyway, "Good Old Boys" is a complete work, not just a song, and an album about an area of the US at a very specific time period. Taken as a piece of work it can be realized for what it is. Taken as a single tune listened to as a sample you will not get the intended message.

I understand very well that today people do not want to invest time into learning new music. That's why albums are kaput. Everyone wants to hear what they like and that's that. Well, almost everyone.

The main thing is, don't get spooked by listening to Rednecks with it's first person perspective and its use of language not tolerated in today's world. This is not an album of 2023, it's an album of the South in the 1920's.

End of lecture, and I am sure I screwed part of this up, so anyone else who wants to chime in, be my guest.

EDIT: I found a review that describes it a lot better than I did:

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/22308-good-old-boys/
And this is why, although I've never really liked his music, I plan to buy and listen to this album as part of the Quadio series. Thank you, @JonUrban for that great explanation. 🙂

a teensy tidbit of trivia on this rainy Thursday, i wonder if maybe (in the words of Sir Michael Caine) "not a lot of people know that".. the AWB album was both engineered at the recording stage and subsequently remixed for Quadradisc by one Gene Paul, son of the legendary Les Paul, who drew on his years of mentorship under his Dad and such Atlantic Records luminaries as Tom Dowd, Ahmet Ertegun & Arif Mardin in masterfully recording and remixing the Average White Band 💘

ah.. there, now i can get back to my lunch break having done my geek's good deed of the day 😋😂

IMG_3599.jpeg

I'm familiar with 3 of these: AWB (CD4 LP), War and Gil Evans (from all his collaboration with Miles Davis).
I have never owned, or paid any attention to Randy Newman.

So I'm definitely in for 3 of these, a very definite YES!

I have to listen to the Newman album on Qobuz to see. I've already sampled some of the songs and so far, they do not grab me or interest me. Just not interesting to me, the songs or his voice. I'm not opposed to gravely vocals since I'm a fan of Dylan, Dr John, Ray Charles, and screamers like LZ Robert Plant. So will listen some more and see.

I still may get the bundle...because I can ;)

But the first 3 are definite winners for me. Love the Average White Band album for sure, plus it's glorious in quad. Glad Rhino picked it for this bunch.

a teensy tidbit of trivia on this rainy Thursday, i wonder if maybe (in the words of Sir Michael Caine) "not a lot of people know that".. the AWB album was both engineered at the recording stage and subsequently remixed for Quadradisc by one Gene Paul, son of the legendary Les Paul, who drew on his years of mentorship under his Dad and such Atlantic Records luminaries as Tom Dowd, Ahmet Ertegun & Arif Mardin in masterfully recording and remixing the Average White Band 💘

ah.. there, now i can get back to my lunch break having done my geek's good deed of the day 😋😂

View attachment 99318
Let's have those other three Gene Paul titles in 2024, please!

Randy Newman -- a master of satire and sarcasm -- is a national treasure, sometimes misunderstood because most of his songs are written from a third person perspective (from often unlikeable characters). I would have preferred 'Sail Away' but will gladly take 'Good Old Boys'. For my taste, enough fine titles in this batch to purchase all four.

This hobby is getting more expensive by the month. Hope I find some extra cash from Santa in my Christmas stocking this year.

Randy Newman does provide sharp social commentary and a very observant perspective. I've never felt there was an "agenda" or a political drum march any where in there. And that is why it's not at all dated, and remains as enduring art. You think Disney would be hiring him to write scores and theme songs for their children's films if there was some remotely hidden "agenda" deep in the lyrics? Not a f'ing chance.

OMG AWB :SG:LB:51QQ:QQlove.... I'll be buying the others anyway. War should be good as will the Randy Newman, I don't even have a stereo release of Svengali so looking forward to that, but I've loved that AWB album since it came out (never got the Quad as it was CD4).

So a :bowing: to ForagingRhino.

Back