4 more Quadio titles coming in January 2024! (Titles Announced)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Despite it's "lossy" provenance, the original DTS 96/24 DVD-V mastering of Chicago Transit Authority is much closer to the tonality of the original stereo and quad vinyl than the subsequent BD-A version. CTA is one of my most-listened to albums of all time, and I say this as someone who's owned almost every iteration of this album, including the original GP8 vinyl, the quad vinyl, the original Columbia CD issue, and the MasterSound SBM CD amongst others. .

The quad mix may not be "perfect" - I think the slight harshness of the quad mix can be accounted for by the fact that it was mixed at Caribou Ranch and not at CBS New York - but it has an almost impossible task to live up to given the fact that the stereo mix is one of the best-sounding to ever come out of CBS' New York facility and a remarkable accomplishment in fidelity for xomething recorded in 1968. Bob Vosgien, who mastered the Quadio DVD-Vs of CTA and Best of Aretha Franklin (and who participated here on QQ for a time) has a phenomenal ear and I think his participation in the current iteration of the Quadio program would enhance its value immeasurably.
OK please don't laugh or ban me for a dumb question, but what is GP8? The googs isn't helping my ignorance either.

My guess based on that, and only a guess, is that the disc booklet and tray will be exactly the same, including the barcode. Nothing to indicate this is a version 2 or corrected version.

My guess would be the same for the CD label... exactly the same with nothing to indicate it’s different from the original run, but FR can confirm/correct that.

Many of us remember the underline for the fixed Thick as Brick DVD. Not sure if the new Spinners disc itself will have any indication that this one is a corrected version.

And then from there, what I believe he was saying was that if someone is buying second-hand, there would be no way of knowing if you’re buying the original or new version unless its explicitly stated by the seller and they’re telling the truth.

(I hope I didn’t just confuse things more. I trust FR will come along and make everything clear with the latest info he has.)
In a week or so, we will have it in our hands, then we can compare and scrutinize the before and after for differences, if any.

In a week or so, we will have it in our hands, then we can compare and scrutinize the before and after for differences, if any.

Gonna have to mark the original with a sticky note or something so they don't get mixed up! A lot of my gear has reached that certain age where I'd definitely be breaking out tools...

My guess based on that, and only a guess, is that the disc booklet and tray will be exactly the same, including the barcode. Nothing to indicate this is a version 2 or corrected version.

My guess would be the same for the CD label... exactly the same with nothing to indicate it’s different from the original run, but FR can confirm/correct that.

Many of us remember the underline for the fixed Thick as Brick DVD. Not sure if the new Spinners disc itself will have any indication that this one is a corrected version.

And then from there, what I believe he was saying was that if someone is buying second-hand, there would be no way of knowing if you’re buying the original or new version unless its explicitly stated by the seller and they’re telling the truth.

(I hope I didn’t just confuse things more. I trust FR will come along and make everything clear with the latest info he has.)
The new Spinners disc will have different matrix info on the inner hub / ring.
When you get your new discs, check it out.

So, what do we do with the original one? Wait until the title is OOP and then sell it on ebay? LOL
Woodpecker repellent:

Visual Deterrents

"Shiny objects and streamers can disrupt a woodpecker’s flight path and create reflections that make the woodpecker think a predator is nearby. To use these visual deterrents, hang them near the area where woodpeckers are causing damage. Windsocks, old CDs, and helium balloons all work well. You can also use strips of aluminum foil, reflective tape, or pinwheels. Wind chimes work especially well because they double as a sound deterrent."

I suspect that blu-rays will work even better because they are more expensive. :ROFLMAO:

Reposting the reveal for the benefit of those who haven't been here lately.
Screenshot_20231215_211930_Chrome.jpg

Reposting the reveal for the benefit of those who haven't been here lately.
View attachment 99376
Thanks - I did miss that!
I am guessing War & AWB will be amazing in surround 🤩
Can’t say I know much about Randy Newman other than a few tunes, and even less about Gil Evans…time to learn (a la Mingus) 👍🏼

The Gil Evans Plays the Music of Jimmy Hendrix was an RCA release, so there's a chance we might see that one from Dutton-Vocalion. It won't be a Rhino Quadio, that's for sure
Was that one a 360RA stream in quad? Seems it was, but I’d have to look and those threads are confusing as research materials to me.

Thanks - I did miss that!
I am guessing War & AWB will be amazing in surround 🤩
Can’t say I know much about Randy Newman other than a few tunes, and even less about Gil Evans…time to learn (a la Mingus) 👍🏼
Gil Evans is a jazz legend. Produced some of Miles Davis's greatest albums. His albums are really fantastic - a quad recording will bring out the big band arrangements and instruments in a fabulous fashion. Just listen to the opening track from Svengali, Thoroughbred: if you can't imagine how this funky groove is going to blast your brain into a frazzle, have you checked if you still have a pulse?

And Good Old Boys is such a stone cold Randy Newman classic. I played Rednecks for my 14 year old boy this summer and his jaw just dropped. Super orchestrations too, the quad is going to be a real treat.

This is a marvellous series.

The good news is that I've finally bitten the bullet and have just ordered the America and Spinners Quadios.

I was pleasantly surprised that Warner Music Australia has these on their website. I assume the Spinners stock will be the rectified disc. It is listed as a preorder so one would think it would be.

The bad news is that this latest batch do absolutely nothing for me.

Still I hope they sell tons, so that more Quadios like the stuff I really want, like Court And Spark are released soon.

I bought all of the Quaddios in the bundles, but I didn't get the email about getting a Spinners replacement disc. I thought it was going to be automatic. Do I need to contact them for the replacement?

Back