Batch #2 of Rhino Atmos Blu-Rays coming August 2024!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rhino Atmos  2nd Batch.JPG

Don't really care to have any live album in 5.1/Atmos
Wish they picked a studio Black Sabbath album
I think they made an Atmos mix alongside the recent set and wanted to capitalize off of that. I would NOT be surprised if Steven Wilson offered to make Atmos (or at least, 5.1) mixes alongside some of Black Sabbath's stereo remixes he did a few years back and management or the band said no. Atmos wasn't quite as much a market force (especially in the physical market) back then as it is today.

(And no, this recent Atmos mix of Live Evil isn't made by Steven Wilson. I don't mean to imply that was the case.)

I guess it's good for Rhino that I ordered all 4 of these without realizing that the Black Sabbath "Live Evil" disc is a live album with Dio on vocals. Not really a big fan of Dio but hey, I ordered it so maybe we'll see if I end up liking it anyway!
besides that, the other 3 were exactly the ones that we had guessed in here (Seal debut, "No Secrets" and "Chicago IX")
overall great choices from Rhino, glad they are still giving us the goods!

:)

Just to make certain - the Carly Simon Blu-ray audio contains both the 1974 4.0 mix and the (early) 2000s (different) 5.0/5.1 remix (for a DVD-A) in addition to the new Atmos mix?

(I think I may be the one who asked for both the 4.0 & 5.0/5.1 mixes on a Blu-ray audio a while back)

Kirk Bayne

I suppose I will buy Chicago, it's up on Apple Music and it has a really good Atmos mix. The others I don't care for, except maybe Bowie. Anyone heard the Atmos mix?

Hey, @ForagingRhino, nice set of Atmos discs this morning! Variety is the spice of life.
When you stroll into work later this morning, can you tell us the resolutions for the 5.1, Quad and stereo files on the discs? (No such info on the Rhino pages for the releases.)
Thanks
Atmos on these BluRays is always 24/48, so:

Carly Simon
Atmos - 48/24
5.1 - 96/24
Quad - 192/24
Stereo 192/24

Chicago IX
Atmos - 48/24
Quad - 192/24
Stereo 192/24

Black Sabbath
Atmos - 48/24
Stereo - 96/24

Seal I
Atmos - 48/24
Stereo - 48/24
5.1 - 96/24

Atmos on these BluRays is always 24/48, so:

Carly Simon
Atmos - 48/24
5.1 - 96/24
Quad - 192/24
Stereo 192/24

Chicago IX
Atmos - 48/24
Quad - 192/24
Stereo 192/24

Black Sabbath
Atmos - 48/24
Stereo - 96/24

Seal I
Atmos - 48/24
Stereo - 48/24
5.1 - 96/24

Thanks for the information. Any reason no B-sides/remixes were included with the Seal release, just curious? Thanks again and keep up the great work :)

Back