Batch #2 of Rhino Atmos Blu-Rays coming August 2024!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question for , Steve Woolard Rhino WEA's quad or surround maven (@ForagingRhino )

Does WEA have the Chrysalis Catalogue? Or just select artists ,such as Jethro Tull ?

Specifically I'm thinking about future Surround titles from the Likes of ;

TEN YEARS AFTER
I’ll buy all TYA, and know for a fact they will be hot sellers.

Question for , Steve Woolard Rhino WEA's quad or surround maven (@ForagingRhino )

Does WEA have the Chrysalis Catalogue? Or just select artists ,such as Jethro Tull ?

Specifically I'm thinking about future Surround titles from the Likes of ;

TEN YEARS AFTER
I believe Steve either said on this forum (or SHTV) that Warner relinquished all of the Chrysalis catalogue except for Jethro Tull and Spandau Ballet

I believe Steve either said on this forum (or SHTV) that Warner relinquished all of the Chrysalis catalogue except for Jethro Tull and Spandau Ballet

If your recollection is correct, I'm bummed because I was really hoping for a physical copy of Huey Lewis & The News "Sports" Atmos mix.

But I'm still holding out hope for The Cars first (or any!) album.

When will this batch be announced? At the end of the month when they are released or before that?

If your recollection is correct, I'm bummed because I was really hoping for a physical copy of Huey Lewis & The News "Sports" Atmos mix.

But I'm still holding out hope for The Cars first (or any!) album.
Either of the Cars first two albums would be epic (just what I needed - don't cha stop)!

I didn’t know that either.

When UMG acquired EMI (which had owned Chrysalis since the early '90s) they were required (for EU regulatory anti-trust compliance) they were required to divest themselves of some of the labels they bought, so they sold them to Warners, which is how they got the EMI quads like Mandingo, Marvin Welch & Farrar, and John Keating - Warner then agreed not long after to sell 30% of their labels/artists to independent ownership, for similar reasons. So they had, and then sold, Chrysalis after having it for just weeks, but kept the back catalogs of a few of the artists, and UMG kept the majority of the rest. That 30% sell-of is the reason Black Oak Arkansas (and their one or two quads) are no longer under Warner control, and it might be the same reason for Mickey Newbury, I'm not sure.

When UMG acquired EMI (which had owned Chrysalis since the early '90s) they were required (for EU regulatory anti-trust compliance) they were required to divest themselves of some of the labels they bought, so they sold them to Warners, which is how they got the EMI quads like Mandingo, Marvin Welch & Farrar, and John Keating - Warner then agreed not long after to sell 30% of their labels/artists to independent ownership, for similar reasons. So they had, and then sold, Chrysalis after having it for just weeks, but kept the back catalogs of a few of the artists, and UMG kept the majority of the rest. That 30% sell-of is the reason Black Oak Arkansas (and their one or two quads) are no longer under Warner control, and it might be the same reason for Mickey Newbury, I'm not sure.
I am aware of UMG being forced to spinoff several labels and Warner being the recipient (Harvest, Chrysalis, Parlophone except the Beatles) . But I did not know that the Chrysalis' catalog was split up.

And I was not aware that UMG got to snap up more catalogs after WMG devested of them. Or did you mean UMG first gobbled up their share, Warner got some, and had to dump some of them to indies in that order?

I actually worked at EMI Records in Los Angeles when they had distribution of much of Chrysalis artists.

I certainly knew about Black Oak Arkansas going to UMG via Capricorn, but was very unsure of Chrysalis' being divided up.
So Jethro Tull is Chrysalis w/Warner, and Chrysalis has become an indie label.
I asked about the Ten Years After catalog as I have their box set , and suppose they are now a Chrysalis independent label artist .(including all their former Deram/UMG albums.)

I suppose that would include Robin Trower as Chrysalis independent as well.

That would mean that apart from the artist's impetuous for Atmos , we can also hope SDE might be willing to create something similar.

I'm hoping this round delivers more than one good release...

Jagged Little Pill was the only winner from the last batch, for me.
That was the only one I never bought lol, I like the Doors and FM, not brilliant but enough to keep me happy, Hootie was a waste of money, the worst atmos mix I can ever imagine, Alanis was an album of it’s time which I don’t want to revisit

That was the only one I never bought lol, I like the Doors and FM, not brilliant but enough to keep me happy, Hootie was a waste of money, the worst atmos mix I can ever imagine, Alanis was an album of it’s time which I don’t want to revisit
I understand matters of personal taste. Merely speaking of the effectiveness of the multichannel mixes, The Doors is super inconsistent, in 5.1 and Atmos, and the FM is unlistenable in Atmos, to my ears, on my system.
The previous 5.1 releases for both groups make both of the new BD’s pointless, for me.

The Alanis Atmos mix kicks ass.

I certainly knew about Black Oak Arkansas going to UMG via Capricorn, but was very unsure of Chrysalis' being divided up.
So Jethro Tull is Chrysalis w/Warner, and Chrysalis has become an indie label.
I asked about the Ten Years After catalog as I have their box set , and suppose they are now a Chrysalis independent label artist .(including all their former Deram/UMG albums.)

I suppose that would include Robin Trower as Chrysalis independent as well.

That would mean that apart from the artist's impetuous for Atmos , we can also hope SDE might be willing to create something similar.
BOA were on Atco records for their most commercial period. This catalog was not a part of Capricorn, and did not move to Universal with the rest of that label's catalog. I also doubt that Warner's spun off these BOA masters, but they likely reverted back to the band after 30 years or so. But UMG was not where these albums (included quad mix) ended up afaik.

Back