Bronski Beat - The Age of Consent 40th Anniversary SDE Blu-Ray #26 (Oct. 18, 2024)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The blu ray has a massive amount of content

The SDE-exclusive blu-ray audio features the following content

• The Age of Consent
  • Bonus remixes from 2024
  • Hundreds & Thousands (The Age of Consentremix album from 1985)
  • Bonus rarities from 1984-5
That’s 26 tracks in total and all of them will be available in the following seven audio streams, with David Wrench handling the Atmos Mixes (along with the new stereo and 5.1 mixes):

• Dolby Atmos [48/24]
  • 5.1 Surround [48/24]
  • 2024 Stereo Mix [96/24]
  • Original 1984 Stereo Mix [96/24]
  • Dolby Atmos Instrumental [48/24]
  • 5.1 Surround Instrumental [48/24]
  • 2024 Stereo Instrumental [96/24]

the music video (along with Falco's Der Kommisar, MJ's Beat It)
Ha thanks Dave for giving me the inclination to look this up... I only knew Falco from Rock Me Amadeus. It's a very cool low-fi vibe video but it really works! 🏃😎🚨 You gotta love the 80s! I'm getting a bit of a Rick James - Superfreak vibe, which was of course used to even 'higher' powers with MC Hammer! 👖🔨.

That is very cool that Jimmy Somerville heard and joined in with that busker! 🤯

Last edited:
Maybe you have to be “of a certain age”?
I was a Junior in college when this came out, and branching out from being a classic rock/metalhead into alternative.
Even had a slot as DJ on the college station.
If you like 80’s synth pop, you can’t go wrong with this - every track is strong - and you will rarely hear a voice as pure as Jimmy Somerville’s.

Naturally ordered .....A classic, IMO!

R.970c56c364a9991c91540b90ec5b34ba

ALL THE YOUNG DUDES!

Never heard of them. Got it on Qobuz and played in my car with my 5 year old grandson Cade in the back today, figured I'd just listen to it a tad to get an idea if it is worth ordering. I liked it, and my grandson liked it right away and started dancing in his carseat and singing with the band. Unfortunately, I guess this may have worked him up too much for when my daughter/his mom took him to karate and they had to have him leave the class (never happened before and he's been going over a year). I'm taking him to the make up class tomorrow but I'm gonna have to go easy on the music. But I did order this album. HA!

Besides the fact that some might take "Bronski" as a relative to "Bruzonsky". HA! Or an abbreviation!

For anyone interested and wanting to make an informed purchasing decision, the Atmos mixes were done by David Wrench, who also did the Blur The Ballad of Darren mix..
Not a good sign, considering The Ballad of Darren currently has a 6.91 rating in the polls, with multiple commenters saying how weak and unimaginative the mix is…

Didn't see a listing for how many copies are being pressed.
That only gets decided after the preorder window is closed, based on the demand until then.

I don't think this album will be for me, but I'll have a listen to it anyway. Soft Cell turned out to be a lot better than I had expected, and I do like the Bronski's Gershwin cover ("It Ain't Necessarily So").

Do we know who worked on the Atmos mix? I’d also like to know if the original stereo mix is a remaster or not. I’m always skeptic when this information is not made available on SDE. Generally, good remasters are advertised as such, and when the name of the mixing is engineer is well known it’s also mentioned.

This was not a big album in the US, even in the clubs which I admittedly went to. Smalltown Boy was the biggest hit and I definitely remember and like it. I think I had it on a 12" single back in the day. Why, the follow-up, I seem to almost remember. But nothing else.

Personally, his voice can get on my nerves after more than 1 or 2 tunes and, as much as I like Smalltown Boy, I'm going to pass on this one. But I'm super glad SDE is doing these 80s pop bands! ABC and Wham! were phenomenal IMHO. I also really like the Luther Vandross.

Can you tell me why? :p
Not sure if I can really. For one thing, that falsetto (or whatever it is) voice makes me cringe at times. At other times, I find the tunes very "uneventful"...aka boring. Synth pop or whatever this is called is always going to be a tough pill for me to swallow, unless the songs are just freaking catchy as hell. Which, to me, these are not.

I'm definitely ordering this, but I am vacillating between the Blu-ray only or going for the bundle. I am a bit confused by the SDE solicitation. Unless I am missing something, the original 9 minute, "Smalltown Boy" (12” Version) only appears on CD 3: Consent Extended: The 12 Inches Plus. So, there's no surround for it? Seems like an odd omission for a "Deluxe" edition, since it is a somewhat difficult version to obtain. If it is CD only than I will just go for the Blu-ray. I already have it on CD thanks to the Rhino UK 2014 release, 12 Inch Dance 80s Synthpop, 3-disc set. It sounds terrific and it is the only CD collection I ever found with the authentic original 12-inch mix. That aside, the upcoming Blu-ray looks like another sure winner from SDE. How about giving us some New Order, SDE? Now, THAT would really be something!

Back