Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You aren't getting full spatial audio that way; optical is limited to (lossy) Dolby/DTS 5.1; streaming Atmos requires Dolby Digital+.
I use my Apple TV through a Denon AVR-S750H to listen to Apple Music Spatial Audio. My Denon AVR-S750H doesn’t show it’s coming through as Atmos and reads it as multi channel.

Just waking up for my 6 am morning meetings and I got multiple pings about the latest album from my all time favorite band King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard getting an Atmos mix.

Gonna need someone to report back while I wait for acceptable hours to sample it.
Extremely happy to confirm it is a real and good mix! Surprisingly rear heavy. Would love a lossless version if at all possible (and it’s likely; they’re independent but work with Universal for distribution. If SDE or IAA reached out to their (new, third, self run label P(Doom) Records) I have a feeling something could happen, though of course I do not speak for the band.

Okay, I should have mentioned that I only have a 5.1 system, so I hear Atmos streams downmixed. But are you saying that the 5.1 rendering I'm getting through my non-Atmos receiver is more lossy through the optical cable than it would be if the receiver (without Dolby Digital+ capability) was connected directly to the Apple TV box via HDMI?
No, just that the Atmos object data is dropped before getting to your receiver.

I use my Apple TV through a Denon AVR-S750H to listen to Apple Music Spatial Audio. My Denon AVR-S750H doesn’t show it’s coming through as Atmos and reads it as multi channel.
That's because the Apple TV 4K outputs everything as LPCM, with the Atmos data included using a format called Dolby MAT. Most (streaming) Atmos devices send the data as Dolby Digital+ (aka EAC-3). Some receivers don't show "Atmos" when they get LPCM, but it's there all the same. Are you getting output from your height speakers?

Five days with Tidal
As I just mentioned on a different stream, though it may be more appropriate in this stream, so I'll expand on it here, for those who may be interested, I have just started with Tidal from an android TV.

Tech related
It took me a little while to figure it out (on and off across last weekend, confused on Saturday, worked out on Sunday) until I discovered the importance of something called an 'e-arc/arc' HDMI out, which is different to the regular ones and until I used it, I only had stereo from Tidal. The e-arc appears to be designed for greater audio quality and multichannel. I have noticed though that I have to pump the volume more. The quality is still not the same as BR.

Over the last few days of using Tidal, I've noticed it can be a little glitchy, forcing me to restart the TV, and I'm hoping they will improve things over time. The e-arc also seems to make things a little glitchy with general TV viewing. However, I have also noticed an abrupt jump in audio quality across the board from movie apps such as Netflix etc. So I should have been using e-arc even before Tidal, I just didn't know.

Availability of Atmos albums on Tidal
Overall I'm pretty happy with the many choices on Tidal and that they also have a dedicated Atmos album list (not all their Atmos is there, one has to go looking as well). And across a reasonable number of genres. There is enough Atmos stuff to keep me happy. Though, based on discussions here and there on QQ, I suspect there are even greater choices on Apple. (No direct evidence for that, just seems to be the case.)

I already have more than I can currently handle on my favourites list and I have to stop myself now and then from going fishing for yet more. I can't just spend all my time doing that! I'm surprised by some very good Atmos mixes, such as the Glass Animals albums I mentioned in an earlier post, and also by some unexpectedly, disappointingly weak ones. Over time, Tidal could be a useful way to 'taste before I buy', if stuff is on it before it goes out for physical sale on the likes of SDE.com. For example, I very probably would not have bought the new Pet Shops album if I'd been able to check it out first on Tidal.

Reflections about Atmos and 'classic surround'
It has occurred to me, as I've been familiarising myself with this new thing in my life (Tidal), that if Atmos does become truly established consumer wise (especially streaming Atmos, which is how most newies will experience it), that after a while, the notion of 'classic surround' may start to emerge. That is, the 5.1 albums and quad albums that many of us have been buying over the years, may begin to hold a new, special regard by listeners being introduced to surround entirely through Atmos. 'Classic surround' albums and boxsets could well become prized, sought after, valuable collectibles with a far higher status than Atmos albums. Even physical Atmos albums. If things keep going well for Atmos, I suspect we may find this out sooner than later.

We're in a watershed moment, where renowned engineers such as SWT (and others) are still solely mixing in 5.1, plus we have amazing quads rolling out from Rhino and DV. Perhaps we should be grabbing at these titles while we can (or at least holding onto what we have), before the 5.1 and Quad re-releases give way to the more dominant Atmos.

I've been listening to William Orbit on Atmos through Tidal, while typing this.

Last edited:
Okay, I should have mentioned that I only have a 5.1 system, so I hear Atmos streams downmixed. But are you saying that the 5.1 rendering I'm getting through my non-Atmos receiver is more lossy through the optical cable than it would be if the receiver (without Dolby Digital+ capability) was connected directly to the Apple TV box via HDMI?

You're not really hearing it down mixed so-to-speak - you're just hearing it without Atmos metadata, ie normal 5.1. Streamed Atmos is just good ol' fashioned Dolby 5.1 (commonly referred to as a 5.1 "bed") with metadata to generate sound to all other speakers beyond 5. Blu-ray Atmos is a 7.1 bed with Atmos metadata for all the height channels.

Five days with Tidal
As I just mentioned on a different stream, though it may be more appropriate in this stream, so I'll expand on it here, for those who may be interested, I have just started with Tidal from an android TV.

Tech related
It took me a little while to figure it out (on and off across last weekend) until I discovered the importance of something called an 'e-arc/arc' HDMI out, which is different to the regular ones and until I used it, I only had stereo from Tidal. The e-arc appears to be designed for greater audio quality and multichannel. I have noticed though that I have to pump the volume more. The quality is still not the same as BR.

Over the last few days of using Tidal, I've noticed it can be a little glitchy, forcing me to restart the TV, and I'm hoping they will improve things over time. The e-arc also seems to make things a little glitchy with general TV viewing. However, I have also noticed an abrupt jump in audio quality across the board from movie apps such as Netflix etc. So I should have been using e-arc even before Tidal, I just didn't know.

Availability of Atmos albums on Tidal
Overall I'm pretty happy with the many choices on Tidal and that they also have a dedicated Atmos album list (not all their Atmos is there, one has to go looking as well). And across a reasonable number of genres. There is enough Atmos stuff to keep me happy. Though, based on discussions here and there on QQ, I suspect there are even greater choices on Apple. (No direct evidence for that, just seems to be the case.)

I already have more than I can currently handle on my favourites list and I have to stop myself now and then from going fishing for yet more. I can't just spend all my time doing that! I'm surprised by some very good Atmos mixes, such as the Glass Animals albums I mentioned in an earlier post, and also by some unexpectedly, disappointingly weak ones. Over time, Tidal could be a useful way to 'taste before I buy', if stuff is on it before it goes out for physical sale on the likes of SDE.com. For example, I very probably would not have bought the new Pet Shops album if I'd been able to check it out first on Tidal.

Reflections about Atmos and 'classic surround'
It has occurred to me, as I've been familiarising myself with this new thing in my life (Tidal), that if Atmos does become truly established consumer wise (especially streaming Atmos, which is how most newies will experience it), that after a while, the notion of 'classic surround' may start to emerge. That is, the 5.1 albums and quad albums that many of us have been buying over the years, may begin to hold a new, special regard by listeners being introduced to surround entirely through Atmos. 'Classic surround' albums and boxsets could well become prized, sought after, valuable collectibles with a far higher status than Atmos albums. Even physical Atmos albums. If things keep going well for Atmos, I suspect we may find this out sooner than later.

We're in a bubble at the moment, where renowned engineers such as SWT (and others, for example, Bruce Soord) are still solely mixing in 5.1, plus we have amazing quads rolling out from Rhino and DV. Perhaps we should be grabbing at these titles while we can, before the 5.1 and Quad re-releases give way to the more dominant Atmos.

I've been listening to William Orbit on Atmos through Tidal, while typing this.
Bruce Soord have been mixing in Atmos for years, and are in my opinion one of the best. He has done several of of his own band Pineapple Thief albums in Atmos and also his latest solo album. All very good mixes. Also check out the latest Katatonia and Tessaract albums, both has Atmos mixes by Bruce.
As for 5.1 and Quad, I no longer buy them as I have no interest for anything other than Atmos these days. :cool:

Bruce Soord have been mixing in Atmos for years, and are in my opinion one of the best. He has done several of of his own band Pineapple Thief albums in Atmos and also his latest solo album. All very good mixes. Also check out the latest Katatonia and Tessaract albums, both has Atmos mixes by Bruce.
Gotta mention the latest studio efforts by Big Big Train and Haken, too.

Last edited:
According to the official Oasis Facebook page, the Atmos mix of “Definitely Maybe” is supposed to be an Apple Music exclusive.
IMG_5225.jpeg

Back