Rhino Quadio Batch 5 for August 2024!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lets hope we get back to some rock like the first batch and not this elevator music :rolleyes: we've been getting.
Would love to know what was the best selling batch so far.
You mean like the 13th floor Elevators?... Did I miss that onešŸ¤”?....or better still, 'You're gonna miss me' I should say...

Last edited:
yes but really only the early birds secured a copy of the SDE and the DVD/LP version is long out of print now! šŸ˜…
I sent messages repeatedly to get on a list and stay on the list. They were very cooperative with maintaining contact with me, and I was probably aware of the re-release before others and was able to get a copy from that. Just like Rhino is great with communication here, I think it helps us all be prepared to jump on opportunities if we desire.

That's a shame, if there is another one, is there any chance it's Manna from 1971 (or less likely On the Waters from the year before that)? Jac Holzman said in an interview in January 1972 that Elektra was "stockpiling" quad titles even though they hadn't released any to that point, so Manna especially would fit in with that timeline.

View attachment 107217
Nope.

Another thing of note that I'd like to bring up is that Rhino has seemed to focus on releasing higher popularity titles first, but titles like ZZ Top's Tres Hombres haven't been released yet. This could come down to a few factors, such as red tape in getting these mixes released, artist wishes, missing tapes, or potential box sets down the pipeline. The last of those is why the US quad of Machine Head wasn't released until the box set came out.
Foraging Rhino noted during the first round of 4 last year that the ā€œTres Hombresā€ quad has not been found, though we know it exists or at least existed.

Please correct me if thereā€™s been an update to this.

Foraging Rhino noted during the first round of 4 last year that the ā€œTres Hombresā€ quad has not been found, though we know it exists or at least existed.

Please correct me if thereā€™s been an update to this.
I'm wondering, given that the initial Label was London in 1973 for the Quad; and the many subsequent M&A's of which there is, how many potential vaults could these tapes be hiding in?

https://www.discogs.com/label/1060-London-Records

I think it is fair to comment on the difference in quality between a fan conversion and a modern official release. In fact, a quad reel conversion can be quite good. If the source of a conversion is Q8 or vinyl then the official is normally miles better. There have been instances where the official release is sourced from an inferior format (not the quad master tapes). Fortunately nothing bearing the quadio label is such a case. Purchase quadios with confidence. For other titles QQ is a great resource to research before you buy.

Last edited:
That last post will be the only reference... Thanks admins & again I apologize.

Let me reword my thoughts on the current Quadio releases:

Big fan of J Geils especially in that timeframe.(however their swan-song Freeze Frame remains one of my all-time favorite albums). Even though Nghtmares has production by the great Eagles-fame Bill Syz...it's recording quality is a little ragged and uneven. For people who have it, is the Quadio version sound quality worth it?

Also Red Octopus is a similar story--how is the Quadio sound for that one? Can anyone playing this on an Oppo tell me the audio bitrate?

Taking advantage of the four for $79 Rhino deal, I think three locked in are going to be Summer Breeze, Sundown, and Holiday--all three being superb original recordings with world-renowned production teams behind them.

My final one will come down to an Nghtmares & Red Octopus--as I like both original albums quite a bit. Curious to see the SQ answers on those.

Last edited:

Big fan of J Geils especially in that timeframe.(however their swan-song Freeze Frame remains one of my all-time favorite albums). Even though Nghtmares has production by the great Eagles-fame Bill Syz...it's recording quality is a little ragged and uneven. For people who have it, is the Quadio version sound quality worth it?

Also Red Octopus is a similar story--how is the Quadio sound for that one? Can anyone playing this on an Oppo tell me the audio bitrate?

Taking advantage of the four for $79 Rhino deal, I think three locked in are going to be Summer Breeze, Sundown, and Holiday--all three being superb original recordings with world-renowned production teams behind them.

My final one will come down to an Nghtmares & Red Octopus--as I like both original albums quite a bit. Curious to see the SQ answers on those.
The sound quality is excellent on all the Quadio releases. They are 192 kHz / 24 bit.

... Most likely because you quoted mine :)

When I get some time I'm going to check the individual threads no doubt around for both those RO/N releases...but I was just wondering if someone had them both with quick thoughts.

Red Octopus has imo a clearer mix in quad than the stereo mix of this album. If your like the album at all, you'll love the quad presentation.

The sound quality is excellent on all the Quadio releases. They are 192 kHz / 24 bit.

Yes but you can't put lipstick on a pig as they say. There's no way either of the two releases I've just mentioned compare SQ with something like the GM/GE America one.

But I'm sure they do the best they can with the original recordings and they sound way better than the CDs that's for sure.

I just realized that if you get to $100 you get free shipping which is about $10 worth, so might as well add a fifth because it's almost halfway paid for in that respect. That would mean Summer Breeze, Sundown, Holiday, Red Octopus, and Nightmares. That would keep me busy awhile :)

Yes but you can't put lipstick on a pig as they say. There's no way either of the two releases I've just mentioned compare SQ with something like the GM/GE America one.

But I'm sure they do the best they can with the original recordings and they sound way better than the CDs that's for sure.

I just realized that if you get to $100 you get free shipping which is about $10 worth, so might as well add a fifth because it's almost halfway paid for in that respect. That would mean Summer Breeze, Sundown, Holiday, Red Octopus, and Nightmares. That would keep me busy awhile :)
yes indeed-y, it's good to go in with realistic expectations! šŸ„³šŸ¤© stuff like Summer Breeze, Red Octopus, Nightmares will never be sonic spectaculars since they're hamstrung by the original production, no matter how much L'oreal you slather on that piglet! šŸ˜…šŸ¤£

yes indeed-y, it's good to go in with realistic expectations! šŸ„³šŸ¤© stuff like Summer Breeze, Red Octopus, Nightmares will never be sonic spectaculars since they're hamstrung by the original production, no matter how much L'oreal you slather on that piglet! šŸ˜…šŸ¤£
what exactly are you trying to say?

1720549671953.png

Drum roooooooollllllllllll
FR entering stage left
Good one, would love new hint. Atlantic Crossing, come on Rodney, give it up, and while you're at it new 5.1, Dolby Atmos BD mixes of Every picture Tells A Story, Nod As Good As A Wink, Never A Dull Moment (who owns his Mercury releases ?). My hair will grow back before this happens. Hey it's 98 degrees out drippin' wet my mind is wandering.

Back