RHINO QUADIO batch #6 - Speculation Extravaganza!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1975 S/T and Tusk were holdovers from the DVD-A days, but the Mirage 5.1 mix was created specifically for the 2013 box set (there’s an interview in either Tape OP or Sound On Sound where Ken Caillat mentions this).
I distinctly remember Caillat had Tusk ready to go, and I'm pretty sure it was long before DVD-A croaked. Pretty sure it was right in the middle of UMG releasing large quantities, and either just before or just after "Say You Will" was released. I was waiting and waiting for it, but for some reason they just never released it. I don't remember any mention of S/T being mixed at that time, but it probably was at he point were DVD-A showing clear signs of dying out. Mirage was definitely much, much later on. Sure would like a high resolution version of all of them, even willing to get it on an Atmos disk, provided it also included the 5.1 mix.

I don't remember any mention of S/T being mixed at that time, but it probably was at he point were DVD-A showing clear signs of dying out.
"Monday Morning" was including on an Acura DVD-A sampler disc from 2008, so it was definitely in the can long before the 2017 deluxe set was released.

When will we know for sure what titles are coming?
The day you can order it. (oct 18, if I remember reading that right) I think the advance reveals are no longer going to be a thing here. And it's kind of become a moot point with the 'sets' since Rhino had it priced that you can build any set of 4 disks and get it for the standard set discount price.

"Monday Morning" was including on an Acura DVD-A sampler disc from 2008, so it was definitely in the can long before the 2017 deluxe set was released.
If I am right, DVD-A was considered pretty much dead in 2007/2008. True, it was 'in the can' and certainly qualifies as an orphan mix. The intent was there, but there was probably no path forward. Which makes sense that a decade passed before the next mix was completed.

But the other possibility exists is that Monday Morning was mixed alone and not with the rest of the album. Remember Caillat was behind 5.1 entertainment and they a number of sampler disks (the "inside the music" series) and there were many one off tracks mixed and not entire albums. BTW, here is a 2001 article about him. https://www.mixonline.com/recording/51-entertainment-group-375547

I do have a hunch that even though Rhino has some unreleased DVD-A, they will not release any of them as a 5.1 Blu-ray, even if conversion of them is easy. I think it will require an Atmos track, to get it pressed in today's markets.

The day you can order it. (oct 18, if I remember reading that right) I think the advance reveals are no longer going to be a thing here. And it's kind of become a moot point with the 'sets' since Rhino had it priced that you can build any set of 4 disks and get it for the standard set discount price.
Because one can mix ‘n match a 4-bundle, the early reporting of what is next is a moot point? What about the folks who have all of the releases, the most loyal fans of these old quad mixes, do they just need to get over it, and forget about it until 10/18? I just don’t think so.

If there's partial quad/surround mixes of albums:

Rhino could release the songs that are mixed in quad/surround + the complete stereo mix of the album (we could use various means to derive surround sound from the restored stereo mix).

or

Rhino could pay to have the missing songs mixed in quad/surround to complete the album.

Any other ideas?

Kirk Bayne

Back