Ricky's Audio Video Barn Build Project

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
there was a hint in Simply Random posts on Tuesday this week
But rather than make you go hunting. on August 16 I will officially be unemployed
I retired in October of 2014, so Iā€™m approaching a decade of resting on my laurels.

My dad told me that six months after you retire, youā€™ll be so busy youā€™ll wonder how you ever had time to go to work. The old man was right, at least in my case.

My dad told me that six months after you retire, youā€™ll be so busy youā€™ll wonder how you ever had time to go to work. The old man was right, at least in my case.
Financially I could retire now at 58 if I wanted to. But I don't have anything else to do, I go to work to occupy myself. Being single with no children doesn't help in this. Yeah I could listen to music, but not every waking hour you need something else.

Financially I could retire now at 58 if I wanted to. But I don't have anything else to do, I go to work to occupy myself. Being single with no children doesn't help in this. Yeah I could listen to music, but not every waking hour you need something else.
While I do my best to refrain from sounding like Iā€™m telling other people how to live their lives, my wife and I bought a house that seems to be endless in its remodeling ā€œopportunities.ā€ You can review my construction blog in my sig to see what went into building a room I spend a couple of hours a day in. I also have an old VW beetle that I keep running, and a yard that just keeps on growing stuff it shouldnā€™t.

Add to that a remarkably rich performing arts environment here (I really did NOT expect two orchestras, two dance companies, and four repertory companies) as well as two racetracks, and boredom is not an issue.

While the immediate area around town is agricultural, you donā€™t have to far to find excellent hiking and camping areas. Hunting is very popular here.

I canā€™t leave out Boise State football. While they arenā€™t the University of Michigan, virtually every quarterback in the past ten years has gone on to the NFL.

Iā€™m going on a Columbia River cruise just to relax.

If you need a list of ideas, simply lobby your fellow QQ comrades. However, if you love your work, it may be best to continue working. Also, some people really enjoy the social aspects of their job, and that is a very important factor.

You can always retire, Owen, and travel to Michigan, USA and oversee the completion of Ricko's Barn Project!

If you need a list of ideas, simply lobby your fellow QQ comrades. However, if you love your work, it may be best to continue working. Also, some people really enjoy the social aspects of their job, and that is a very important factor.
I retired because I could, even though I enjoyed my work, the commute was getting to me. Washington DC traffic is never much fun. That, and the new contractor I was working for didnā€™t impress me with the way they dealt with employees. I havenā€™t looked back, even though Iā€™ve thought about a few startups from time to time. For about 30 seconds.

I retired because I could, even though I enjoyed my work, the commute was getting to me. Washington DC traffic is never much fun.
I have the commute sorted, I live close to the Cambridge Science Park. My current commute is a 25 minute walk, at my previous job it was a 20 minute bicycle ride. I'm not going back to a commute that requires driving, last time I changed job I gave recruiters my distance limits. Didn't stop them offering me positions much further away, useless idiots.

there was a hint in Simply Random posts on Tuesday this week
But rather than make you go hunting. on August 16 I will officially be unemployed

1723831791027.jpeg

Congratulations Ricky! Bittersweet perhaps? I hope they gave you a good send off!

View attachment 108482

Congratulations Ricky! Bittersweet perhaps? I hope they gave you a good send off!
thank you Scotty !! Appreciated

I got a great send off, it amounted to - "give us our lap top, give us your key, and sign this"
Oh well - I take pleasure knowing myself - and team - built the company, kept everyone employed, and they gave me a couple of bucks to buy the joint

Last edited:
Ricky living the dream. I'm a little envious but much excited for you! Hopefully the day will come soon when you're firmly ensconced in your chair and blasting tunes.
thank you Boonie. Happiness comes in all forms. I cant wait to be in the position to never ever hear Mrs Cbmmm3 say "turn that shit down"

Back