Simply random stuff

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But it is simply random!
-ScsnC.gif

Is it weird to change a 7.1.4 setup to a 5.1.4? ...asking for a fiend.
Depends on the friend!

If friend was interested in finally hearing some 7.1.4 mixes and liked that, taking that away will probably not be welcome. If surround was more of a novelty to begin with (747-B52 or whatever the heck!), fewer speakers "doing the same thing" might be an upgrade.

I thought the giveaway would be ...asking for a FIEND. IOW, me. lol.
I changed my setup so I could use my 5.1 matched set for the base speakers, and move the surrounds to the rear. So far liking it, and it is calibrated. Time will tell.

I thought the giveaway would be ...asking for a FIEND. IOW, me. lol.
I changed my setup so I could use my 5.1 matched set for the base speakers, and move the surrounds to the rear. So far liking it, and it is calibrated. Time will tell.
This room is smallish and crowded. I didn't feel I was getting the full effect of the back surrounds due to that and my MLP. If I could afford to upgrade my surround back speakers in the future...well then I will and maybe get back to 7 base speakers. Right now I feel the sound is more balanced, and it could very well be because of the speakers I was using for back surrounds...cheapish Klipsch bought on a budget.
For sure 5.1 mixes are greatly improved to my ears anyway.

https://cybernews.com/security/rock...T_RockYou2024_2024_07_CSP_456_symtec.12587462

I have to deal with this everyday....my information was compromised 5 years ago on the dark web
I got nailed but in the end lost no money because I was able to get ahead of it. My wife had to freeze a card just yesterday and get a new one issued because someone tried to use it on Amazon. You would not believe how complicated, but often successful these schemes can be.
Someone, somehow, used a combination of Google Pay (which I don't use), PayPal & Amazon to try and get money from my bank account a while back.

I had to change my email address because someone signed me up for hundreds of sites and I was getting inundated with crap every day.
These bassards don't care about you and are all swine.

People, two factor authentication is crucial these days. Credit cards, bank accounts, PayPal etc. You can literally lose your ass-ets.

I got nailed but in the end lost no money because I was able to get ahead of it. My wife had to freeze a card just yesterday and get a new one issued because someone tried to use it on Amazon. You would not believe how complicated, but often successful these schemes can be.
Someone, somehow, used a combination of Google Pay (which I don't use), PayPal & Amazon to try and get money from my bank account a while back.

I had to change my email address because someone signed me up for hundreds of sites and I was getting inundated with crap every day.

People, two factor authentication is crucial these days. Credit cards, bank accounts, PayPal etc. You can literally lose your ass-ets.
2 factor is a must...I removed all money related apps off my phone...I don't do any financial transactions on my phone...I can't change my email address...too much to change...one of the biggest things is to NOT link accounts...places like banks have solid security but hackers pick the weakest link in the chain...so when you add another business with weak security you provide a back door to your financial information...I have an amazon credit card...but it isn't linked to amazon...if you purchase anything these days you are almost forced to create an account...after you purchase inform the company to NOT retain your credit card information on their site....you will be giving up convenience for security...

You have to beware of fake emails that contain links...if you see an email that has no preview...proceed with caution...IMO another must is a VPN on your computer. l

2 factor is a must...I removed all money related apps off my phone...I don't do any financial transactions on my phone...I can't change my email address...too much to change...one of the biggest things is to NOT link accounts...places like banks have solid security but hackers pick the weakest link in the chain...so when you add another business with weak security you provide a back door to your financial information...I have an amazon credit card...but it isn't linked to amazon...if you purchase anything these days you are almost forced to create an account...after you purchase inform the company to NOT retain your credit card information on their site....you will be giving up convenience for security...

You have to beware of fake emails that contain links...if you see an email that has no preview...proceed with caution...IMO another must is a VPN on your computer. l
Changing my email address meant I had to go through a (password protected) spreadsheet one item at a time and go to sites and change my account details. But, it also gave me the opportunity to decide if I really needed an account on all those sites, some I never used anymore or seldom. The ones I never got to, well, couldn't have been all that important anyway.
My wife used to ask me often before opening questionable emails, me being the pc geek in the house. I told her if in doubt, just don't open it and don't click any links unless you know who you're dealing with. If they ask you in an email out of the blue to verify account details then just delete it and forget it.
I use to reply "F... off" but unfortunately those get flagged and never delivered.

Also, avoid putting checks in the US Postal System like the plague, if possible. We sent a tax payment to the IRS and someone stole the check, along with everything else, out of the mail box in front of the post office. The thief didn't even bother to wash the check. He simply made a mobile deposit into a personal checking account. The bank accepted the deposit even though the check was clearly made out to the United States Treasury!!!

The bank is a real PITA. They want forms filled out and notarized before they will do anything. They are putting us through all this crap even though they can see that the check was made out to the US Treasury and signed / deposited by some dude named Angelo into a personal account.

We started using direct electronic payment some time ago, but this theft took place before then, and we were unaware of it until the IRS came looking for their money. Take a look at the back of every check you write that gets deposited to make sure it went to the right person.

Sorry for the rant.

I worked for a Department of Energy national lab for 21 years, mostly doing computer work (data acquisition, parallel computing, building Linux-based supercomputers). I experienced the full arc of online threats. At the beginning (1994) folks still had to sign a pledge with ISPs not to use the internet for commercial use, there were few users, the WWW had only been around a couple of years, and authentication was simple password and/or the “r-utilities” (rsh, rlogin) which let a user on a one computer login to another mutually trusted computer with no further authentication.

By about the late 90s the lab had to switch everyone over to secure shell (ssh).

By the early 2000s the lab switched to Kerberos, with hardware dongles (“Cryptocards”, much later YubiKeys and the like) for access from unsecured devices. I recall spending about a week dealing with a security breach that involved a very bright physicist from Europe who exploited a university user with lab access who had an ssh private key without password protection, implanted a keystroke logger, sucked up Kerberos passwords, and proceeded to implant kernel exploits (root elevation) and keystroke loggers on the machines I administrated. This turned me into a hardware dongle fan for MFA, but they really are a pain.

Then came the explosion of phishing attacks. I did all my email for years in a text client that wouldn’t allow me to click on a link even if I wanted to. But eventually we all succumb to the convenience of “full service” email apps on phones and tablets.

Since I retired the lab switched to restricting email clients to Microsoft only (I won’t comment on the wisdom of this, considering some serious breaches came in the Microsoft universe) and hardware dongles for any financial- or business-related computing.

I finally just now took the plunge and ordered a pair of YubiKeys. MFA is the way, but I hate having multiple authentication apps on my iPhone, and where I live cell service isn’t very reliable so SMS messages can be delayed or dropped.

I worked for a Department of Energy national lab for 21 years, mostly doing computer work (data acquisition, parallel computing, building Linux-based supercomputers). I experienced the full arc of online threats. At the beginning (1994) folks still had to sign a pledge with ISPs not to use the internet for commercial use, there were few users, the WWW had only been around a couple of years, and authentication was simple password and/or the “r-utilities” (rsh, rlogin) which let a user on a one computer login to another mutually trusted computer with no further authentication.

By about the late 90s the lab had to switch everyone over to secure shell (ssh).

By the early 2000s the lab switched to Kerberos, with hardware dongles (“Cryptocards”, much later YubiKeys and the like) for access from unsecured devices. I recall spending about a week dealing with a security breach that involved a very bright physicist from Europe who exploited a university user with lab access who had an ssh private key without password protection, implanted a keystroke logger, sucked up Kerberos passwords, and proceeded to implant kernel exploits (root elevation) and keystroke loggers on the machines I administrated. This turned me into a hardware dongle fan for MFA, but they really are a pain.

Then came the explosion of phishing attacks. I did all my email for years in a text client that wouldn’t allow me to click on a link even if I wanted to. But eventually we all succumb to the convenience of “full service” email apps on phones and tablets.

Since I retired the lab switched to restricting email clients to Microsoft only (I won’t comment on the wisdom of this, considering some serious breaches came in the Microsoft universe) and hardware dongles for any financial- or business-related computing.

I finally just now took the plunge and ordered a pair of YubiKeys. MFA is the way, but I hate having multiple authentication apps on my iPhone, and where I live cell service isn’t very reliable so SMS messages can be delayed or dropped.
I purchased a Yubi Key but I couldn't get it to work because Microsoft has their own version...the infamous Microsoft Authenticator...which is a nightmare....I finally gave up on the security key approach and devised a a LONG password and the 2 step verification...everyday I get 30 or 40 attempts to get into my account and 50 fake emails...

Also, avoid putting checks in the US Postal System like the plague, if possible. We sent a tax payment to the IRS and someone stole the check, along with everything else, out of the mail box in front of the post office. The thief didn't even bother to wash the check. He simply made a mobile deposit into a personal checking account. The bank accepted the deposit even though the check was clearly made out to the United States Treasury!!!

The bank is a real PITA. They want forms filled out and notarized before they will do anything. They are putting us through all this crap even though they can see that the check was made out to the US Treasury and signed / deposited by some dude named Angelo into a personal account.

We started using direct electronic payment some time ago, but this theft took place before then, and we were unaware of it until the IRS came looking for their money. Take a look at the back of every check you write that gets deposited to make sure it went to the right person.

Sorry for the rant.
The reality is that no method is without risk...people steal parcels off porches...it's the world we live in now...sad...but true...hell some people steal and instead of asking for forgiveness...they demand immunity:mad:

Back