RHINO QUADIO batch #6 - Speculation Extravaganza!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the announcement of Rhino acquiring the Starship / Hot Tuna etc. catalog. It says it's a partial list, but I don't see Bark, and sunfighter in there. So I'd like to hear from Steve as to whether they picked those up or not. There's an article in Billboard also, but it's behind a pay wall.

https://www.rhino.com/article/rhino-acquires-jefferson-starship-starship-and-hot-tuna-catalog
Hope he will clear that up for us. I will be disappointed if the answer is no since that would make getting them much less likely.

That article does say it’s a partial list, however it also says that the first album in the package purchased by Rhino was Long John Silver. That was JA’s seventh album. Bark was their sixth album, so maybe not. On the other hand, Bark was the first album released on Grunt. So hopefully we can get a definitive answer as to whether Bark is eligible for a Quadio release.

was there confirmation from Steve aka ForagingRhino someplace that this was a Quad in the vaults fizzy?

I like Foghat

Foghat - Energized
Rod Stewart-Atlantic Crossing
J Geils - Bloodshot
James Taylor - In The Pocket
Dionne Warwick- Track Of The Cat
(Joni Mitchell - Miles Of Aisles)

Are all that remains of the "unreleased quads" from the 1970's , and yes all confirmed by ( @ForagingRhino ) , Steve Woolard. Six all told , but I wish there were more . All of the rumoured quads have been vetted last year, btw.

But this does not prevent new quad mixes from occurring , which is very promising for quadraphonic WEA titles.

So Joni's Miles Of Aisles , we've all been provided with a chance to purchase via her Quadio Box Set.

And we may see sometime soon in the near future , Billy Cobham - Spectrum on quad bluray.

I would be in for some bigger titles.

Foghat, J. Geils, more WAR, Worst of JeffAir?

The last few selections have been.... less than stellar for me to throw my wallet at.

Worst Of Jefferson Airplane is the property of RCA , so maybe DV can address that quad release.

Kantner/Slick - Sunfighter , and Jefferson Airplane-Bark are on Grunt (WEA), so Rhino could issue those.

So Rhino/WEA now has the Grunt label , and other artists that were never on WEA labels in the 70's.
Such as Gerry Rafferty who was on United Artists., but no known quads.
And Curtis Mayfield who was on Curtom ,( and has 2 quad titles from the 70's)
And War , who were on Far Out/United Artists, (and had 3 quad titles)
(And maybe , but unconfirmed, Eric Burdon's Far Out title, Sun Secrets which was on Capitol, in quad .)

I went on the WEA website to check out all their Artists and came up with these
possible new Quadios.

Blows Against The Empire could have amazing surround.
I asked Stephen Barncard (who engineered that album, as well as Crosby's solo) what the chances of a surround would be. Didn't sound too hopeful.

Money was the main thing: to paraphrase, give him 50,000 dollars to fund the project and he'd do it. Time for crowd-funding???
Awesome album. Btw, Barncard did the surround on IF ONLY I COULD REMEMBER MY NAME, and it sounds really good.

Too bad about the Papa John Creach, I really like that one.

with the latest info from various places, here's one that may be out to batch 7 or 8...

I'll call it "The Wild Bunch"

That 'The Modern Jazz Quartet'; I'm hoping Rhino has access to. I recently purchased the CD-4 (it's a double album.) For a live release it's got some good Quad surround, it's like you're standing in the middle of the band on stage with them; not like some of Jazz Atmos titles available that just have ambient rears, especially studio albums. I believe the Quad mix was by Gene Paul -son of Les Paul BTW, and also did the Mingus Moves Quad, IINM.

View attachment 108097
THIS would DEFINITELY be a "mind blower" of a QUADIO drop, for sure!

Back