Simply random stuff

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
another year of Byron Days is in the books...........
fireworks.jpg

today's Ricky Things ( always loved this Joe Walsh song...give it a listen.. )

The kids are in Hamburg Germany
Me and Mrs Cbmmm3 went to our soon-to-be-former towns little Celebration. Here is a little town parade. Slice of Americana
And then on our deck--hello there Monarch
View attachment 108029View attachment 108030View attachment 108031

We get a few swallowtails here, but so far, we’re not getting monarchs. Wish it were otherwise. Beautiful little critters.

One more clean game with my pops for the road. What is so exciting for me about these games is that i'm using my father's bowling balls–two old Lane Masters: a Yeah Baby! and a Black Diamond urethane. Having a great time with him on the lanes!
View attachment 108076
With the exception of the first frame....your Dad has been around the pocket every frame...plus the 2 splits...his split in the 10th frame...was it the 7/10 ? One time I actually got the 10 pin to slide toward the 7...but it didn't make it to the pin...I usually tried to hit the 10 pin as hard as possible hoping it would bounce out of the back net and hit the 7

With the exception of the first frame....your Dad has been around the pocket every frame...plus the 2 splits...his split in the 10th frame...was it the 7/10 ? One time I actually got the 10 pin to slide toward the 7...but it didn't make it to the pin...I usually tried to hit the 10 pin as hard as possible hoping it would bounce out of the back net and hit the 7
His split in the 10th was the 4-7-10. He almost picked it up! He clipped the 4 pin on its left side (the ball then took out the 7), sliding it toward the 10 pin. It just missed the 10. I thought he was going to pick it up! He was a really good bowler back in his prime, though he started bowling when he was 62 (which is when he got me hooked--when i was 62!). He wears a ring that celebrates his 800 series! Maybe one day i'll pull off that feat. . . . unlikely!

Last edited:
Every day I have random thoughts.
My random thought today is about atmos, I read posts in here all the time from people who don’t have atmos that talk about the atmos downmix coming through only 5 speakers. Most atmos is mixed in 7.1.4 so what happens if you have say a 9.1.6 system, does it upmix to all speakers and does it sound good?

My random thought today is about atmos, I read posts in here all the time from people who don’t have atmos that talk about the atmos downmix coming through only 5 speakers. Most atmos is mixed in 7.1.4 so what happens if you have say a 9.1.6 system, does it upmix to all speakers and does it sound good?
I does in fact upmix!

This is the SINGLE significant ability of Atmos, FYI. We could always downmix before and Atmos downmixes the same as always. (Sorry brochure writers!) Upmixing can target additional individual speaker channels between others instead of just lighting up a whole bank of speakers - which is how it would have upmixed in the past.

How does it sound?
Probably OK.
Maybe still perfect!
Maybe somewhat unintentional and would surprise the mixer.
Maybe a few awkward balances in the worst case - but this would still be a level better than crudely lighting up a whole bank of speakers.

The biggest difference is, in the past stereo listeners wouldn't even try to play a surround mix and downmix it. You still can. Your speaker settings on the PC will downmix to your selected speaker array. Larger surround will downmix to smaller surround too. For decades now. But Atmos sounds good on the brochure and now the kids with their stereo earbuds can say "Well... I'm listening to Atmos!" (Well... ours go to 11!)

In the music corner of the surround world it seems that most mixers landed on 7.1.4. So if you're chasing mixes as conceived like in the past, that's mostly 7.1.4 now. The 9.1.6 mixes will be more rare.

Just to let you know....the older you get....everything becomes random :whistle:

Back