Steven Wilson Steven Wilson - The Harmony Codex (2023)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have dozens of special editions with instrumental versions, never have and never will listen to them, if an album has vocals why would I not listen to them?

I’m with you on that. But this time it may be different. I’ll probably listen to them once or twice due to the surround mixes.
I rarely listen to the demos, alternative takes, and instrumental versions, only one time. It all shows how we pay more for nothing.

At points “Economies of Scale” fits right in with Hand. Cannot. Erase., At others the influence of The Future Bites is obvious. I feel this album will be another adventure, and possibly another polarizing release from Mr. Wilson.

I like that he chose a shorter track for the pre-release. An enjoyable tune that is easy to digest.

At points “Economies of Scale” fits right in with Hand. Cannot. Erase., At others the influence of The Future Bites is obvious. I feel this album will be another adventure, and possibly another polarizing release from Mr. Wilson.

I like that he chose a shorter track for the pre-release. An enjoyable tune that is easy to digest.
Wonder why it's not in Atmos? :confused:

I'm not. From where are you getting this sense?

Having read a lot of SW's book, my impression is he believes his core fan base wanted TFB to sound like a classic prog rock album. I've certainly read a lot of fanboys gaslighting those who give a negative opinion of the record, with this assertion.

For my part, I love lots of pop. No issues with anybody putting out pop music. I just want it to be strong pop music, and TFB strikes me, to this day, as a failed pop effort. I.e. simply uninteresting and even annoying musically.

I also have no issues with anybody who likes or loves the record. Good for them. The favor should be extended the other way.

Isn't it remarkable that an extremely busy SW has released seven solo albums since November 2008, and of such varying genres? I actually find it hard to keep up with the man's work, partly because he competes with himself by producing 5.1 and Atmos mixes of classic albums (Notice that this latest album is being released right behind Who's Next. o_O ) So I've only listened to TFB twice fully through, but I'm one of those people who likes it and believe that the music is really buoyed up by the Atmos mix.

Looking forward to THC with whatever genres he puts on it.

I have dozens of special editions with instrumental versions, never have and never will listen to them, if an album has vocals why would I not listen to them?
Everyone has their own tastes.

In my case I like the instrumental versions, and I miss that they are not in surround/atmos like the originals. I switch from the original to instrumentals, depending on the mood, and I perceive new things in the instrumentals, without the distracting vocals.

It may depend on the type of voice, or the or the assessment that each one gives to the sonics of the instruments with respect to vocals.

One of the best improvements I like is the Foreverandevernomore from Brian Eno. I like much more without his voice.

The new song to me is better than anything on the previous album. Rich, layered, beautiful when it crescendos, and I hear a bit of TFF influence as well (unsurprisingly).

Back