The Beatles - Abbey Road 50th Anniversary (5.1 & Dolby Atmos mixes)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't discover Abbey Road until 1974 or so (I was too young to care in '69) and I wasn't impressed for a long time - "Here Comes the Sun" is one of my most hated Beatles songs (I have a list), and much of the rest seemed very lightweight.

But "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" completely blew my mind, and my only complaint was, it didn't go on long enough. And now, although I've grown to love the whole album (with one exception), that's still the one track I most want to hear in surround. And if there is a previously undocumented twenty minute extended version, I'll love that as well.

I too have a list of my most hated Beatles songs...albeit a short one. Here Comes The Sun and I Want You (She's So Heavy) are two on my extremely long list of favorites; and the version of HCTS on Love really shines. I used to despise All You Need Is Love, but then they came out with that spectacular version on Love and it flipped my opinion of the track 180 degrees. Anyway, if this Abbey Road has an Atmos mix I may have to figure out how to integrate the codec into my existing system. That won't be easy and will cost some loot.

"Got to Get You Into My LIfe" really annoys me. "Good Morning Good Morning," too. There are others, but those are probably the worst offenders
Geez tough crowd. Good Morning Good Morning I can understand, but Got to Get You Into My LIfe and Here Comes the Sun? Anyone wants to vote for In My Life?

Anyway, if this Abbey Road has an Atmos mix I may have to figure out how to integrate the codec into my existing system. That won't be easy and will cost some loot.
I've been thinking the same thing the last couple of days. There may not be a way around this.

Unrelated, if we have to bitch about something, can we bitch now about music playing when the menu comes up, and then we can just ignore it when this thing is released? (talking to myself on this one, but you're all welcome to join me)

After living through The Beatles in real time, album by album, and loving almost ever song, 50 years later there are quite a few of them that I would not be upset if I never heard again. Even to the point of me turning them off if they come on the radio, etc. It's just that I've heard them so many times in so many ways I don't need to hear them again. Ever.

Here's where the 5.1 comes in and sort of rescues these old song from the burn out cemetery because we hear them in a new light. That being said, I can tell you with peace and love that I would have enjoyed the surround mixes of Sgt Pepper, the White Album, and this one a LOT more if they came out in the quad era. Back then, the tunes were a lot fresher and less burned out. Especially for old folks like me! :)

Anyway, looking forward to this one FOR SURE! Immediate buy FOR SURE!

So what's the best vendor to take a chance on for pre-orders? For the life of me, I can't remember where I purchased the White Album but I do know I was very pleased and got it early (guess I'll search for that, I'm sure I mentioned it at the time as I got it before some mods here:dance).

edit: Found it -- I apparently ordered from the Moose!

Last edited:
So what's the best vendor to take a chance on for pre-orders? For the life of me, I can't remember where I purchased the White Album but I do know I was very pleased and got it early (guess I'll search for that, I'm sure I mentioned it at the time as I got it before some mods here:dance).

edit: Found it -- I apparently ordered from the Moose!
For TWA I scored a sweet Black Friday deal. No such luck in September...

Dolby Atmos will be in 48/24. I wonder if there’ll be a separate 96/24 5.1 mix? Probably not.

I wouldn't worry so much about the oversampling rate @ 48, Homer ....... the 24 bit is the magic number. Almost all movie soundtracks are 48/24 on BD~V and they sound pretty magnificent! Also a lot of DVD~As were 48/24 and NO complaints here!

Dolby Atmos will be in 48/24. I wonder if there’ll be a separate 96/24 5.1 mix? Probably not.
I really hope so and hope including separate atmos and 5.1 mixes becomes a trend. I only have experience with two Atmos music mixes and while they sound good on my 5.2.4 Atmos system, they do not translate well to my 5.1 system.

I wouldn't worry so much about the oversampling rate @ 48, Homer ....... the 24 bit is the magic number. Almost all movie soundtracks are 48/24 on BD~V and they sound pretty magnificent! Also a lot of DVD~As were 48/24 and NO complaints here!
I’m not worried about it either cause my Denon has AL32 processing. 😝

Based on the new information, I'm relieved that a) the box set will only have 4 discs, so that should mean a cheaper price overall compared to the last two sets. (I'm predicting a final price somewhere between $80 and $100) and b) that the Blu-Ray will have both the Atmos mix and a separate 5.1 mix for those of us with non-Atmos systems

Autumn cannot arrive soon enough!

:)
I hope you’re right because that just leaves room to purchase more discs, but I’m guessing it may be closer to what Sgt. Peppers retailed at, for which I paid $117.99 on Amazon.

Side 2 of Abbey Road is as brilliant a segue of music as there as ever been, imo.
If they had placed Come Together before HCTS, omg.
But you know why they didn't on the LP.

Very much looking forward to this as Abbey road is a fantastic record.
I bought the original A1 Toshiba\EMI CD on a Friday nite in 1983 for $24.99 at the 5th & Mercer Tower which was pulled the next day.
Still a great sounding CD. A bit heavier on the bass end than the 2009 remaster.
Tells me that the 2009's were not mucked with as some think.

Back