The Beatles - Abbey Road 50th Anniversary (5.1 & Dolby Atmos mixes)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. Thrilling news, this.
2. I am, for the first time ever, considering upgrading to Atmos.
3. I hope (but I don’t expect) that Revolver is next.
4. The only Beatles song I could do without is, “Don’t Pass Me By,” but a few days ago it got stuck in my head and I enjoyed it. I can sure do without “Why Don’t We Do It In The Road.”
5. It’s a great time to be a music lover.

Is a proper 5.1 mix of “Revolver” possible?

I know “Sgt Pepper’s” was because they were able to use the pre-bounced-down multi tracks and pretty much every song on the album had more than 4 tracks to work with because of this.

Was “Revolver” recorded the same way? Or is it more of a traditional 4-track recording?

I know “Sgt Pepper’s” was because they were able to use the pre-bounced-down multi tracks and pretty much every song on the album had more than 4 tracks to work with because of this.

Was “Revolver” recorded the same way? Or is it more of a traditional 4-track recording?

Revolver was recorded the same way, so it's really just a matter of, 1) do the pre-bounced tracks exist, and 2) do they think Revolver is worth the same effort. I'm not counting on it, but I'd love it if they did it!

Read the 'Production Techniques' section from Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolver_(Beatles_album)

Apparently REVOLVER was recorded to 4 track

Reductions were a pretty traditional way of working back in the 4-track days actually.

So it is a matter of if all the production reels along the way exist. The "gotcha" is when parts were recorded on the fly during the actual mix. Yes this was a thing! Often backing vocal parts and incidental bits were recorded 'live' during the mix to allow for avoiding another reduction and thus avoiding more generational loss. When that was done, those parts do not exist anywhere on any multitrack.

Reductions were a pretty traditional way of working back in the 4-track days actually.

So it is a matter of if all the production reels along the way exist. The "gotcha" is when parts were recorded on the fly during the actual mix. Yes this was a thing! Often backing vocal parts and incidental bits were recorded 'live' during the mix to allow for avoiding another reduction and thus avoiding more generational loss. When that was done, those parts do not exist anywhere on any multitrack.

Ah, yes - I'd forgotten about that. A good example of that is the horn parts on The Zombies' "This Will Be Our Year" from Odessey and Oracle, which were recorded directly onto the mono master.

Revolver actually lends itself to upmixing quite well if you've got the right tools - I ran the CD through my Tate decoder, which sent all the hard-panned info to the rears. The results are hit-or-miss: for instance, "Eleanor Rigby" sounds ridiculous with the vocals trapped in the left rear speaker, but "Good Day Sunshine" is really impressive in faux quad with the vocals upfront and the piano solo in the rears.

I'd like to think a remix from the original 4-track multi could be at least as good if not better than what can be extracted from the stereo.

Last edited:
Probably best to reference the LOVE album for how effective a remix of Revolver would sound. I cannot see why an iconic and pivotal album like Revolver wouldn't satisfy the criteria for a box set treatment!

Me too! And all that wonderful psychedelic album art!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Revolver was recorded the same way, so it's really just a matter of, 1) do the pre-bounced tracks exist, and 2) do they think Revolver is worth the same effort. I'm not counting on it, but I'd love it if they did it!

If the pre-bounced tracks exist for Peppers I would imagine they do for Revolver. Fortunately, it seems little of what the Beatles recorded was lost compared to so many other 60s acts.

Whether they think it’s worth the effort for Revolver? Especially with the 50th already gone? I certainly hope so. But like you, I’m not counting on it.

But maybe these sets were successful enough that we will get big deluxe sets for all the albums as the 60ths roll around? I love them for all the bonus tracks too.

If the pre-bounced tracks exist for Peppers I would imagine they do for Revolver. Fortunately, it seems little of what the Beatles recorded was lost compared to so many other 60s acts.

Whether they think it’s worth the effort for Revolver? Especially with the 50th already gone? I certainly hope so. But like you, I’m not counting on it.

But maybe these sets were successful enough that we will get big deluxe sets for all the albums as the 60ths roll around? I love them for all the bonus tracks too.
I can't wait that long!!! o_O

Revolver actually lends itself to upmixing quite well if you've got the right tools - I ran the CD through my Tate decoder, which sent all the hard-panned info to the rears. The results are hit-or-miss: for instance, "Eleanor Rigby" sounds ridiculous with the vocals trapped in the left rear speaker, but "Good Day Sunshine" is really impressive in faux quad with the vocals upfront and the piano solo in the rears.

I'd like to think a remix from the original 4-track multi could be at least as good if not better than what can be extracted from the stereo.

Would Niles etc be willing to go so far as to do upmixes just to create a surround mix?

I suspect not. But I hope enough original tracks exist to do a proper 5.1. And I hope they do it!

Back