The Beatles - Abbey Road 50th Anniversary (5.1 & Dolby Atmos mixes)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would Niles etc be willing to go so far as to do upmixes just to create a surround mix?

I suspect not. But I hope enough original tracks exist to do a proper 5.1. And I hope they do it!

I'm not sure, but based on his style of surround mixing, I suspect it would be more like Sgt. Pepper vs. the slam dunk that the White Album was. I think most would agree that Giles' best surround mixes are on the tracks with the most layers - on the White Album, he tended to put stuff like horns and backing vocals in the rears. On Revolver, not all the songs have those type of elements.

He could definitely go nuts on "Tomorrow Never Knows" - and throwing the horns to the rears in "Got To Get You Into My Life" seems like something he might do - but for some of the other tracks, I think he'd have to make some pretty bold quad-esque mixing decisions to get a satisfactory (for me) surround experience. I doubt he'd stick all the string parts in "Eleanor Rigby" in the rears or isolate the "Taxman" backwards guitar solo in right rear - both moves I was able to pull off working from the stereo mix. But who knows...he did put the "Rocky Raccoon" piano over in right rear and put the strings in the rears on "Piggies".

I hope they do it too!

Last edited:
A688503D-FA6B-4E59-A07B-E3AB13D7EAFE.jpeg

Apparently this is just a fake poster created by a Beatles fan, not a real teaser for the release, but I still think the announcement is within the next two weeks

:)

I don't think that it's a 'fake poster' since it has the 2019 Apple Corps. copyright on it (also the Capitol & Universal Music logos). I say it's a teaser for the official announcement of the Abbey Road Box (and I also think that it should be annouced within the next 2 weeks or by the end of August).

I don't think that it's a 'fake poster' since it has the 2019 Apple Corps. copyright on it (also the Capitol & Universal Music logos). I say it's a teaser for the official announcement of the Abbey Road Box (and I also think that it should be annouced within the next 2 weeks or by the end of August).

Every new "poster", "magazine ad", call them what you want, is "fan art" created by Jeff S. Levy who runs the Facebook Apple Records page.

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...=gm.10159934148959988&type=3&permPage=1&ifg=1

Check out the comment by Jeff Levy on the link above! Sounds like they took part of the LOVE disc and used it (i.e. "Because" only consisting of vocals). "Come Together" and some other ABBEY ROAD material also appeared on LOVE -- would they use those as well?

Last edited:
Ringo confirms 50th anniversary reissue in new Billboard article:
https://www.billboard.com/articles/...ff-15th-all-starr-band-tour-with-beatles-toto
“Meanwhile, he's acknowledged that the Beatles will be releasing an Abbey Road boxed set to celebrate that album's 50th anniversary.

"I've loved all the re-releases because of the remastering, and you can hear the drums, which got dialed down in the old days," Starr says. "I get a bit fed up, personally, with all those, like, Take 9 or Take 3, the odd takes that we didn't put out, but that's part of the box set and you have to do stuff like that. But I've always just listened to the record itself, what we put out in the 60s or 1970, and it's brighter. It's amazing with Beatles music; We have a billion streams a year now, and every generation still has a listen to us. Far out."

Check out the comment by Jeff Levy on the link above! Sounds like they took part of the LOVE disc and used it (i.e. "Because" only consisting of vocals). "Come Together" and some other ABBEY ROAD material also appeared on LOVE -- would they use those as well?

Don't like hearing that. I was looking forward to hearing Because in surround with the instruments included. Hope that info is wrong. Unless it's just a bonus track.

Don't like hearing that. I was looking forward to hearing Because in surround with the instruments included. Hope that info is wrong. Unless it's just a bonus track.

Not likely that the album proper would use Because with just the vocals from Love. That would cause a riot. Using Come Together and Something from Love wouldn't bother me especially if it is an indication of the aggressiveness of the whole album 5.1 mix.

Ringo confirms 50th anniversary reissue in new Billboard article:
https://www.billboard.com/articles/...ff-15th-all-starr-band-tour-with-beatles-toto
“Meanwhile, he's acknowledged that the Beatles will be releasing an Abbey Road boxed set to celebrate that album's 50th anniversary.

"I've loved all the re-releases because of the remastering, and you can hear the drums, which got dialed down in the old days," Starr says. "I get a bit fed up, personally, with all those, like, Take 9 or Take 3, the odd takes that we didn't put out, but that's part of the box set and you have to do stuff like that. But I've always just listened to the record itself, what we put out in the 60s or 1970, and it's brighter. It's amazing with Beatles music; We have a billion streams a year now, and every generation still has a listen to us. Far out."
I didn't know that Joe Walsh is Ringo's brother in law.

Back