4 more Quadio titles coming in January 2024! (Titles Announced)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is what I like about Rhino Quadio, Super Deluxe Edition or Dutton Vocalion. I'll buy recordings that in the past I wouldn't have dreamed of. It introduces me to music that is unknown to me and taking a chance (with the exception of Soft Cell), I usually like them all.
While I appreciate Rhino’s efforts to expand our musical tastes, there will always be some bands or singers that I already know I simply don’t care for, and I won’t buy their records, and wonkt keep them if they’re given to me. There are even a handful of songs that lead me to turning off the radio when they come on.

That being said, I listened to the albums listed in this release via streaming (stereo, of course), and didn’t find any to be worth the money or storage space to me. I don’t expect Rhino to cater to my particular tastes, which are probably bizarre by most people’s standards. If I don’t know it, I’ll try it, but if I don’t like it, I certainly won’t spend money on it.

What are "UMG" titles & what does that have to do with it?
UMG = Universal Music Group. A completely different music label. Rhino is under the Warner Music umbrella, therefore Rhino has no access to anything that is under UMG

Wow ......really starting to scrape the bottom of the quad barrel. So many GREAT 70's quad releases are being ignored!! What's wrong with a Quadio boxed set of Carly Simon or Seals & Croft???....Frank Zappa Apostrophe, Nilsson Schmilsson, The original quad mixes of The Allman Brothers Eat a Peach, Live at the Fillmore, Cat Stevens Greatest Hits....Just to name a few, the list could go on & on with better choices than these last 4.

The only one I purchased was the Average White Band & I'm not all that thrilled about that one. The other releases are at the very fringe of popularity, will not & I REPEAT, will not sell well. I not sure what's Rhino "strategy" is with these 4 lame releases, but they better get back to the popular titles or this Quadio thing is going to go down in flames.
Wow...so much to unpack here...
a) Rhino is a the catalog division of Warner Music - as such they do not have access to every Quad ever made...
b) "the very fringe of popularity" would probably not include a Gold certified album featuring 2 Gold certified singles which happened to be the #1 Billboard Album of 1973. War may not be your cup of tea, but they certainly were "popular"...
c) As far as Rhino's "strategy" on the Quadio campaign, it cannot possibly have been conceived as blockbuster commercial platform (given the move toward streaming)...presumably more of a niche market strategy with small qty's but high margins (perhaps with touch of preservationist motivation and even a labor of love on the part of some of the Rhino folks?)
d) I think many (most?) on this forum would say keep mining the vaults...better to have them on blu-ray than gathering dust...even the obscure ones.
e) On a personal note, at the reasonable prices they are offering, I will probably keep buying both the familiar & unfamiliar...even at my advanced age, finding music that is new to me is a thrill...the Mingus disc was a revelation for me...and I am guessing Gil Evans will be the same.
To each his own...but I say keep 'em comin' Rhino!

I also would think that Rhino can’t just look at the bank of quad titles they control and pick the ones they want to release. I would expect there to be some legal and contractual hoops that need to be addressed. That is what determines what gets released sooner vs later.

a) Rhino is a the catalog division of Warner Music - as such they do not have access to every Quad ever made...
b) "the very fringe of popularity" would probably not include a Gold certified album featuring 2 Gold certified singles which happened to be the #1 Billboard Album of 1973. War may not be your cup of tea, but they certainly were "popular"...
c) As far as Rhino's "strategy" on the Quadio campaign, it cannot possibly have been conceived as blockbuster commercial platform (given the move toward streaming)...presumably more of a niche market strategy with small qty's but high margins (perhaps with touch of preservationist motivation and even a labor of love on the part of some of the Rhino folks?)
d) I think many (most?) on this forum would say keep mining the vaults...better to have them on blu-ray than gathering dust...even the obscure ones.
e) On a personal note, at the reasonable prices they are offering, I will probably keep buying both the familiar & unfamiliar...even at my advanced age, finding music that is new to me is a thrill...the Mingus disc was a revelation for me...and I am guessing Gil Evans will be the same.
Let me ask you this: What caused more excitement & sold more units, these 4 or the first set of 4 quadio releases??? Money's tuff to come by these days & I have no intention of wasting it on titles like these.

UMG = Universal Music Group. A completely different music label. Rhino is under the Warner Music umbrella, therefore Rhino has no access to anything that is under UMG
Carly Simon's Electra music IS available on Rhino (check the website). If you want more 70's quad titles that would have been better than these 4 & are part of Rhino "family", how about Joni Mitchell, Eagles, Jethro Tull, Roberta Flack, Eric Clapton? Release the best material before secondary titles please!!!

I'm with you! As long as it's classic Quad, at least for me...not scraping the bottom. But I understand folks have favorites and not so much favorites. I do too, but I love the Quadio series and will buy them all.
Same here! If it’s another way to visit “sound tracks of my life” in surround then I’m in!!!!

Also, you mentioned the Quadio campaign as a "niche market strategy", Rhino is a niche market company, appealing only to us old folks (not exactly where the big dollars are). Ask a 20- or 30-year-old if they ever heard of a company called "Rhino" & I'm pretty certain they would say no, even if they were into music. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad Rhino exists & appreciate what they're doing, but don't tease us with some very good titles the first couple of times around & then come up with this.

Yes, you are correct about the War album (a fact that totally shocked me, especially for 1973), but you're also right in saying it's not my cup of tea. I'm a classic rock guy. I feel Rhino made a mistake in priority with these 4 & much rather see Rhino release Jethro Tull, Joni Mitchell or Eagles quad stuff other than Randy Newman or Gil Evans (by the way, I own over 2000 cd's & albums & never heard of Gil Evans)

Same here! If it’s another way to visit “sound tracks of my life” in surround then I’m in!!!!
Money's to hard to come by these days to waste it. I didn't own any of these as quad vinyl back in the 70's, why would I buy them now at $25 a pop just to "have them". Makes no sense to me. The whole idea I thought was to come out with pristine blu ray 4 channel versions of our FAVORITE quad releases from the 70's.

Let me ask you this: What caused more excitement & sold more units, these 4 or the first set of 4 quadio releases??? Money's tuff to come by these days & I have no intention of wasting it on titles like these.
Obviously the first batch caused more excitement due to the news that Rhino was continuing & expanding the Quadio program.
As far as titles, I’d put this batch as a tie with the first one, and the second batch above them both…but that’s me…it’s all subjective.
As far as sales, that would be very interesting… but only @ForagingRhino has that top secret info…🤑

Wow ......really starting to scrape the bottom of the quad barrel. So many GREAT 70's quad releases are being ignored!! What's wrong with a Quadio boxed set of Carly Simon or Seals & Croft???....Frank Zappa Apostrophe, Nilsson Schmilsson, The original quad mixes of The Allman Brothers Eat a Peach, Live at the Fillmore, Cat Stevens Greatest Hits....Just to name a few, the list could go on & on with better choices than these last 4.

The only one I purchased was the Average White Band & I'm not all that thrilled about that one. The other releases are at the very fringe of popularity, will not & I REPEAT, will not sell well. I not sure what's Rhino "strategy" is with these 4 lame releases, but they better get back to the popular titles or this Quadio thing is going to go down in flames.

See, the Gil Evans is more interesting to me than any of those, which I wouldn't be terribly interested in purchasing. Everybody wants something different.

1970s quad is already on the fringe of popularity by definition, let's be real.

Anything we get is welcome!

Also, you mentioned the Quadio campaign as a "niche market strategy", Rhino is a niche market company, appealing only to us old folks (not exactly where the big dollars are). Ask a 20- or 30-year-old if they ever heard of a company called "Rhino" & I'm pretty certain they would say no, even if they were into music. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad Rhino exists & appreciate what they're doing, but don't tease us with some very good titles the first couple of times around & then come up with this.

Yes, you are correct about the War album (a fact that totally shocked me, especially for 1973), but you're also right in saying it's not my cup of tea. I'm a classic rock guy. I feel Rhino made a mistake in priority with these 4 & much rather see Rhino release Jethro Tull, Joni Mitchell or Eagles quad stuff other than Randy Newman or Gil Evans (by the way, I own over 2000 cd's & albums & never heard of Gil Evans)
We ALL would like to see Joni & The Eagles on Quadio - and I’m sure Rhino would too (maybe more than us!) but all that pesky licensing must be in the way…
As far as Tull…they are about the most well represented catalog in surround…
Anyway…here’s to Rhino fighting the good fight to get it all released one day 🍻

I'm with you! As long as it's classic Quad, at least for me...not scraping the bottom. But I understand folks have favorites and not so much favorites. I do too, but I love the Quadio series and will buy them all.
Two of these albums literally hit #1 in the US and 2-3 of the 4 seem to be highly acclaimed. Sure, they may not be as big superstars as other artists but are worthwhile releases. I'd suggest to be willing to expand your horizons a little for music in general.
How may of you out there have ever even heard of Gil Evans

Back