Dream Theater - Parasomnia (Atmos!) - Feb 7

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll wait to get excited until I found out who mixed it. A View From the top of the World was pretty weak with completely brick walled Left/Right channels. Distance Over Time was better, but far from outstanding. I know metal is more difficult to create an effective surround mix with so much noise going on, but there are some brilliant opportunities with a band like Dream Theater.

I'll wait to get excited until I found out who mixed it. A View From the top of the World was pretty weak with completely brick walled Left/Right channels. Distance Over Time was better, but far from outstanding. I know metal is more difficult to create an effective surround mix with so much noise going on, but there are some brilliant opportunities with a band like Dream Theater.
I concur.

In DT’s defence this is an artbook so not the same as i/o, artbooks always cost a good bit more
oh boy, my bad, I swear I saw a CD case size edition with Blu-Ray as well.

I personally stopped buying into "art books", and now there's a greater chance it's going to be a bunch of AI generated images taking up more real estate space.

The single “Night Terror” is absolutely killer. I’ve been a bit bored by their last two albums, but this sounds fresh and engaging. I’m unlikely to buy a boxed set, though, given the lackluster surround mixes on their last couple of releases. I might risk a stand alone surround release…
I agree, it sounds super to my ears!

Amazon.fr

Captura de pantalla 2024-10-12 a las 22.39.00.png

I've listened to the single a couple of times. As expected, zero surprises. It sounds exactly like something that could have been in either Black Clouds & Silver Linings or Systematic Chaos, the last two albums they released before Portnoy's departure. I feel I've heard this song structure and this chorus a hundred times before.

Is that a good or a bad thing? I can only speak for myself, obviously, and it certainly doesn't work for me. Feels like a band going through the motions. Progressive? Well, if creating long songs with some odd time signatures and extended instrumental sections makes you progressive, they still are. To me, progressive should be an attitude, rather than a sound, so they stopped being genuinely progressive many years ago - after Train of Thought, if you ask me.

Yeah, it sounds good, with flawless performances, but that's expected from these excellent musicians. It's their songwriting what doesn't excite me at all anymore. Maybe the rest of the album will be different? Maybe.

As usual, YMMV.

I've listened to the single a couple of times. As expected, zero surprises. It sounds exactly like something that could have been in either Black Clouds & Silver Linings or Systematic Chaos, the last two albums they released before Portnoy's departure. I feel I've heard this song structure and this chorus a hundred times before.

Is that a good or a bad thing? I can only speak for myself, obviously, and it certainly doesn't work for me. Feels like a band going through the motions. Progressive? Well, if creating long songs with some odd time signatures and extended instrumental sections makes you progressive, they still are. To me, progressive should be an attitude, rather than a sound, so they stopped being genuinely progressive many years ago - after Train of Thought, if you ask me.

Yeah, it sounds good, with flawless performances, but that's expected from these excellent musicians. It's their songwriting what doesn't excite me at all anymore. Maybe the rest of the album will be different? Maybe.

As usual, YMMV.
Agreed, it offered me nothing new, if you haven’t heard DT before you might think it was brilliant but for us DT oldies it is a bit meh

The musicianship is as strong as ever but it seems like there are no longer any boundaries to push.
This has been my thoughts on most Prog since the early 2000s. Very few new, unique bands and albums. DT are their own thing, and as you say the musicianship is why I still tune in. I expect them to sound like DT, what else would I be expecting to hear? Bands like Haken are the next step melding DT and King Crimson and Porcupine Tree into this wonderful new thing. If anyone is getting bored with Prog, it's likely they haven't done a Haken deep dive.

I'm rarely excited for new DT, for me the band changed when Portnoy was booted. It was still worthy of my time, but there was a missing piece/element. Portnoy brought that "je ne sais quoi".

As I look at newer Prog bands that I listen to, I really dig The Deer Hunter, Thank You Scientist and Pattern-Seeking Animals.

PSA hit a predictability rut very quickly.

TDH is great but a blind test with Coheed and Cambria is likely to reflect the same selection curve as a random one.

Pure Reason Revolution gives me hope because their latest release provided some unexpected twists. I admit it is my first experience with them so they may already be using a formula I do not know.

I do love some Devin Townsend but one can never tell what genre his next release will favor. I find it exciting but if one loves SYL then Ki may not quite do it.

I do not know Haken but will give them a go.

As usual, YMMV.
I think they crank out albums out too fast, sometimes only 1.5 years between. I'm willing to bet the only reason there's a 4-ish year gap on this one is because of covid. That being said, I think peak DT was 2003 Train of Thought, but I do like the return of the heavier sound on the last 2 albums, and this single. DT has always been a band for me where I enjoy everything they do for the first few listens, but it doesn't stick. I don't find myself going back. Can't explain why.

As I look at newer Prog bands that I listen to, I really dig The Deer Hunter, Thank You Scientist and Pattern-Seeking Animals.

PSA hit a predictability rut very quickly.

TDH is great but a blind test with Coheed and Cambria is likely to reflect the same selection curve as a random one.

Pure Reason Revolution gives me hope because their latest release provided some unexpected twists. I admit it is my first experience with them so they may already be using a formula I do not know.

I do love some Devin Townsend but one can never tell what genre his next release will favor. I find it exciting but if one loves SYL then Ki may not quite do it.

I do not know Haken but will give them a go.
Hevy Devy is always fun, as you say it's a crap shoot what you're going to get. I find all of his stuff is enjoyable at some level and his boxed sets/surround mixes very solid.

On other other end of the spectrum, Animals as Leaders is heavy progressive instrumental jazz fusion if you want to get your face melted. They are, IMO, prog metal at its peak but not something I can casual consume much. Mastodon another possible lesser known act.

Back