Fiber routers

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally I connect all my A/V gear to 1 gigabit switches (located behind each TV) which are in-turn connected to another 1 gigabit switch located behind my router in my loft.

Even though my router offers 4-ports I don't connect any AV gear directly to it, not even my NAS.

Last edited:
Personally I connect all my A/V gear to 1 gigabit switches (located behind each TV) which are in-turn connected to another 1 gigabit switch located behind my router in my loft.

Even though my router offers 4-ports I don't connect any AV gear directly to it, not even my NAS.
Why? I mean my Oppo 103 and one pc are on a switch but 2 pc's and the TV are directly on the LAN ports on the router.

Had a long talk with the Network Admin. They are getting new routers next month that have 2.5GB LAN ports and I'm first in line.
Squeaky wheel gets the grease.
They probably figure you're a useful test for early adoption. Most of their customers likely don't even know what 2.5G LAN ports are, and probably don't have PC's with any fitted either.

Watch out for network cable issues. CAT 5E isn't really good enough above 1G, you want CAT 6 or better both in the walls and for the leads from the wall or router socket to the PC.

They probably figure you're a useful test for early adoption. Most of their customers likely don't even know what 2.5G LAN ports are, and probably don't have PC's with any fitted either.

Watch out for network cable issues. CAT 5E isn't really good enough above 1G, you want CAT 6 or better both in the walls and for the leads from the wall or router socket to the PC.
Well in my case under the house. I have CAT8 everywhere as of a few weeks ago, I've had CAT 8 in the Audio/PC room for a while now.
I suspect the new routers coming in were purchased for business use.
Two of our pc's have 2.5GB ethernet.

Yes. I'm starting to think I'm just full of stupid about this whole fiber thing. I got excited about 2 gig up/down after years of crappy ADSL.
Realistically, 3 pc's, internet tv, and two cell phones running off the router wifi (no cell towers close) will likely never max even a 1 gig service.

I would think the internet tv would never need more than about 25 mbps. and the problems with buffering seem to be resolved now with fiber.
I have 150Mbps and I'm an 'IT Guy'. I have not had a time in many years where I thought I needed faster internet. Maybe a home with 6 kids all streaming different things on their phones? Even then, mathematically 500Mbps would suffice. Having a decent modem is more important than speed, having multiple channels so queueing is kept to a minimum. This is especially important for gaming, where that queueing can result in lag/high ping times. I'm actually not sure how much of an issue that is with fiber, I believe the translation is so immediately they don't function (or need to function) the same way as cable modems. That's out of my expertise as I deal with everything before/after the internet connection. In theory I bet a 200Mbps fiber connection would feel silky smooth and the only time one would notice any advantage is in how long it took a large file to download.

I have 150Mbps and I'm an 'IT Guy'. I have not had a time in many years where I thought I needed faster internet. Maybe a home with 6 kids all streaming different things on their phones? Even then, mathematically 500Mbps would suffice. Having more advanced modem/router is more important than speed, having multiple channels so queueing is kept to a minimum. This is especially important for gaming, where that queueing can result in lag/high ping times.
Yes. I think I'll go ahead with the new router, if for no other reason than it's a newer model.

I currently have orange coloured category-7 cable throughout my house, terminating to shielded RJ45 modules. I do have one leg of old grey cat-5e cable which leads to my garage that has a TP-Link WiFi router on the end of it for an external camera...

I currently have orange coloured category-7 cable throughout my house, terminating to shielded RJ45 modules. I do have one leg of old grey cat-5e cable which leads to my garage that has a TP-Link WiFi router on the end of it for an external camera...
Yeah when I first made my cable runs, I went to a local guy works out of his garage. He made me up several CAT 5e cables but they are long gone now and replaced with the CAT8. Actually 1 of the CAT5e cables only lasted about 2 years under the house. This time I bought outdoor heavy cables.

Yeah when I first made my cable runs, I went to a local guy works out of his garage. He made me up several CAT 5e cables but they are long gone now and replaced with the CAT8. Actually 1 of the CAT5e cables only lasted about 2 years under the house. This time I bought outdoor heavy cables.
Did you get the outdoor cables which are gel filled? I used some of that once and it is disgusting stuff to terminate, the gel is sticky and gets all over everything if you're not extremely careful.

Did you get the outdoor cables which are gel filled? I used some of that once and it is disgusting stuff to terminate, the gel is sticky and gets all over everything if you're not extremely careful.
I don't have any way to terminate cables anymore, no crimper for the connectors (I have several good crimpers and a crappy one but they are for molex terminals, pc wiring). I just buy the closest length that works. Under the house I have 2x50 ft cables, a spare in a drawer.
I have never seen any gel filled cables...but I haven't worked in network stuff in many years. The few runs I did on the job were interior, hub to pc.
Plus I've been retired since 2011 from a JOB! lol.

The only terminals I'm concerned with these days are pc power supply wiring, fan wiring, etc. I make all my own and throw the stock stuff in a box.

I don't have any way to terminate cables anymore, no crimper for the connectors (I have several good crimpers and a crappy one but they are for molex terminals, pc wiring). I just buy the closest length that works. Under the house I have 2x50 ft cables, a spare in a drawer.
Are the ones under the house just terminated with a male RJ45 that plugs into a router or PC? I'm talking about CAT 6 cables that terminate in sockets in the wall, and then you run a short drop lead from there to your PC or router or whatever. You don't need crimp tools for sockets in the walls, you use an IDC tonk tool eg https://www.amazon.co.uk/NEWlink-Network-Terminal-Insertion-UKNLCN316-Black/dp/B09CNYVG7N/

Are the ones under the house just terminated with a male RJ45 that plugs into a router or PC? I'm talking about CAT 6 cables that terminate in sockets in the wall, and then you run a short drop lead from there to your PC or router or whatever. You don't need crimp tools for sockets in the walls, you use an IDC tonk tool eg https://www.amazon.co.uk/NEWlink-Network-Terminal-Insertion-UKNLCN316-Black/dp/B09CNYVG7N/
No I don't do any of that. Cable from router/switch to device. Pre terminated. No wall sockets. Buy the cable, run it, plug it in and go. Only thing in my walls are electrical wiring, wood, and insulation. I drilled a few holes in the convenient places years ago to run the CAT cable up from underneath as I did not want to be fooling with sheetrock damage.
Pre fiber hookup I drilled a hole in the floor and dropped a piece of 1/2" pvc pipe so no one was ferking around with my floor or walls.

Yes. I'm starting to think I'm just full of stupid about this whole fiber thing. I got excited about 2 gig up/down after years of crappy ADSL.
Realistically, 3 pc's, internet tv, and two cell phones running off the router wifi (no cell towers close) will likely never max even a 1 gig service.

I would think the internet tv would never need more than about 25 mbps. and the problems with buffering seem to be resolved now with fiber.
As with much of our hobby, overkill isn’t something we shy away from. Nothing wrong with bandwidth, of course, but if it’s costing you money you could be spending on media, well that’s another issue.

It’s an ongoing project of mine to run CAT 6 & RG 6 to every room that might use it, so every bedroom and everywhere one might put a TV (we have a living room and a family room, go figure). I’m not crawling around in the crawl spaces until the weather cools down, though. I still have three rooms to go.

My router actually feeds three switches - one for my computer room, where I have three computers (lookng to get a mac for the setup soon), and a couple of networked printers (the NAS is on its own port directly on the router); one for my theater with my Oppo, Roku, and pre-pro all connected, and the third distributing to the other rooms in the house. Of course, by the time I’m carried out, nobody will care, but it’s something I just think ought to be done. Cutting a small rectangular hole in the drywall and installing a mud ring is trivial compared to some of the contortions this old body has to go through to get those cables in place.

Past a gig I would run long single mode patch cables and get a switch that has sfp+ ports. Get sfp+ adapter for PC and switch and now you are running 10g. That same fiber can support much higher speeds so you never need to run new cable unless you damage it. We currently run 100Gig both directions on a single strand of single mode and it can go much faster! They currently have 400g and 800g but you would need deep pockets to buy the switches and optics!

As with much of our hobby, overkill isn’t something we shy away from. Nothing wrong with bandwidth, of course, but if it’s costing you money you could be spending on media, well that’s another issue.
The difference between 2gig and 1gig per month is $20. The 2gig plan is $105/month, with 5$ knocked off for automatic billing.
Plus whatever taxes the state adds, which I do not know at this point. Florida loves to tax everything.
My ADSL + land line was about $135/month.

What really irks me, is pc to pc file transfers (both connected to the same router) being so darned slow. No where near maxing out my NAS and Enterprise HDD's but stays around 110 MB/s.
Since I keep all my surround on two pc's for backup, transferring a 40GB BD .iso seems to take forever.
I'm running an Adaptec 71605 16i SAS/SATA board on the main rig and 2.5gig ethernet, normal SATA ports on the second rig with 1GB ethernet.

The difference between 2gig and 1gig per month is $20. The 2gig plan is $105/month, with 5$ knocked off for automatic billing.
Plus whatever taxes the state adds, which I do not know at this point. Florida loves to tax everything.
My ADSL + land line was about $135/month.

What really irks me, is pc to pc file transfers (both connected to the same router) being so darned slow. No where near maxing out my NAS and Enterprise HDD's but stays around 110 MB/s.
Since I keep all my surround on two pc's for backup, transferring a 40GB BD .iso seems to take forever.
I'm running an Adaptec 71605 16i SAS/SATA board on the main rig and 2.5gig ethernet, normal SATA ports on the second rig with 1GB ethernet.
Yes, it seems like file transfers to/from my NAS (a drobo 5N) can take a while. My PCs just use whatever was on the motherboard, so I’m not sure if that’s a limitation or something else in the signal path, although I believe all my switches are 1Gig.

Gradually (don’t want everything to wear out the same week) growing my drobo by replacing the various drives with 22T drives. Every time I do that, it takes about 5 or 6 hours to redistribute the data. It’s set to accommodate two simultaneous drive failures. But since drobo shut down (even their website has disappeared), I’m nervous about the box itself. Considering looking for something else, along with cloud backup.

I hear you.... Because my previous Dell laptop only offered a 100 Mbps network port and was painfully slow at transferring large media files to my Synology NAS I began storing all my media files on external (NTFS formatted) USB HDD's connected to my NAS instead.

So now whenever I need to transfer large data files from my PC (such as 4K UHD movies) I temporarily unplug the required USB HDD from my NAS and plug it into my PC's USB 2.0 port. After transferring I plug the USB HDD back into my NAS. Currently I only use my NAS's internal drives for documents and media test files. I realise it's not a very elegant solution.

However, I now have an ASUS laptop which offers a 1000 Mbps network port along with a USB 3.2 port, and although it's much faster at transferring data over my network to my NAS, it's not as fast as the USB 3.2 port!

Anyway, I'm on the hunt for a new NAS now. I'm considering a Raspberry Pi 5 with 4-way SATA HAT as I don't want a huge device sucking loads of power.

Back