RHINO QUADIO batch #6 - Speculation Extravaganza!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would like to think that's a reason why sales might not have been stellar, but I highly doubt it. Unless you're "in the know," like people on this board, you'd have no idea there was a problem. It actually took a little bit before the problem was even reported. So I really don't believe that's it. I just guess it's that musical tastes change.

For me, it was one of the top Quadios released. That one and Roberts Flack. Sure, I really liked the others, but America, Alice Cooper, Jefferson Starship and even Paranoid got just one play from me and have hit the shelf. I've pulled the others out several times already. The quality of the sound and quad effects just blow me away.
Maybe sales picked up when it went to other online retail sites. Maybe it actually became a top seller later? A "sleeper" is what that is called.
And that "New and Improved" is the next logical choice for Quadio!

Last edited:
I'd bet Starship or Spinners. Both were huge artists back then.

Lamenting a 50 year old decision not to release this one in quad. How can you do the one before and the one after and miss this gem? This may be my favorite of their releases because after they get a little too mellow for my taste-- and this is a better recording than the self-titled album (less tubby bass).

However, all the earllier Thom.Bell meticulously-produced recordings are far superior to the later post-TB big hits like "Working" and "Cupid" which sound shockingly tinny in comparison--likely a caveat of a late '70s "radio-friendly" mix.
Spinners-_–-Mighty-Love-front-768x769.jpg

I'd bet Starship or Spinners. Both were huge artists back then.

Lamenting a 50 year old decision not to release this one in quad. How can you do the one before and the one after and miss this gem? This may be my favorite of their releases because after they get a little too mellow for my taste-- and this is a better recording than the self-titled album (less tubby bass).

However, all the earllier Thom.Bell meticulously-produced recordings are far superior to the later post-TB big hits like "Working" and "Cupid" which sound shockingly tinny in comparison--likely a caveat of a late '70s "radio-friendly" mix.
View attachment 108187

Completely agree - maybe there's an unreleased quad mix of Mighty Love hiding in the Warner vaults somewhere?

View attachment 108187
Maybe they will press this up as a picture disc on vinyl?:)

This might make a great bundle:
Arlo Guthrie - Last Of The Brooklyn Cowboys
Jefferson Airplane - Volunteers
Herbie Mann - Hold On, I'm Coming
Frank Sinatra - Ol' Blue Eyes Is Back
Volunteers is in RCA so not happening.
Sinatra's stuff is controlled by his estate. So also not happening.
I'm not familiar with the Arlo Guthrie

Volunteers is in RCA so not happening.
Sinatra's stuff is controlled by his estate. So also not happening.
I'm not familiar with the Arlo Guthrie
Interesting. Here's what I found:

JEFFERSON AIRPLANE -
Bark. Grunt PQFT-1001 (Q8),
Volunteers. Grunt APD1-0320 (CD4),
Worst. Grunt EPQ1-1653-QF (DQR),

JEFFERSON STARSHIP -
Dragon Fly. Grunt BFD1-0717 (CD4),
Red Octopus. Grunt BFD1-0999 (CD4),
Spitfire. Grunt BFD1-1557 (CD4),

If my memory is correct, Frank Sinatra created the Reprise label. Sinatra is not listed in Rhino's stable of artists. Still a Quadio of Sinatra would delight his fans.

I'll always remember Arlo Guthrie for "Alice's Restaurant" where you can get "anything you want". ;)

There is not.
Ok so no Spinners 'Mighty Love' but in the crazy idea department and for the love of Todd (Rundgren) get him to do a surround mix of 'Acapella' where he covered that track :)

Doesn't Rhino (still) have the rights to a lot of those Rundgren albums?

Doesn't Rhino (still) have the rights to a lot of those Rundgren albums?
I'm not sure Rhino ever owned Todd's catalogue outright. They reissued a bunch of the Bearsville albums on CD back in the pre-Warner acquisition days, but any subsequent CD issues have come from other reissue labels like Edsel in the U.K. I do see the latest streaming/download reissue of Something / Anything? is credited to Rhino, so I may be wrong!

I'm not sure Rhino ever owned Todd's catalogue outright. They reissued a bunch of the Bearsville albums on CD back in the pre-Warner acquisition days, but any subsequent CD issues have come from other reissue labels like Edsel in the U.K. I do see the latest streaming/download reissue of Something / Anything? is credited to Rhino, so I may be wrong!

Rhino currently distributes all of Todd's Solo releases from Runt (1970) through 2nd Wind (1991). They also distribute all Utopia material from Todd Rundgren's Utopia (1974) through Swing to the Right (1982). Many of these (too many to mention) could be amazing in surround. The only obstacle that I know of would be a warehouse fire that Todd had in the mid 80's where he lost a lot of stuff. Some have speculated that there may have been master tapes lost in that fire but I don't think that has ever been confirmed.

@ForagingRhino .... are you able to search the vaults to see if Todd's multitracks are safely in storage?

This might make a great bundle:
Arlo Guthrie - Last Of The Brooklyn Cowboys
Jefferson Airplane - Volunteers
Herbie Mann - Hold On, I'm Coming
Frank Sinatra - Ol' Blue Eyes Is Back
Rusty, great selection but VOLUNTEERS is still under the SONY/RCA umbrella and Frank Sinatra is now controlled by the Sinatra Estate and re~releases on RBCD have been done by Concord Music a UMG subsidiary!

Back