RHINO QUADIO batch #6 - Speculation Extravaganza!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 4th?

1728525371064.png

1728525435580.png

It may not be sexy to the true believers here who buy all four discs that make up each Quadio batch, but if Rhino is bringing the individual Doobie Bros. albums back into print, it's not only good for this hobby, it's a sign that the 'state of surround' is in good health.

I remember back in the early 2010s (aka the Third Dark Age of Surround)I had some friends (civilians with no surround knowledge) over to listen to my system and they were absolutely blown away - funnily enough one of the things they liked the most was I Cheat the Hangman from The Doobie Bros. Stampede album. The conversation eventually turned to the costs of something like this for themselves, and where to get the music. The hardware part of the equation was easy - 5.1 systems of every size and price were available both new and used, but when it came to the music, it got into "well, it's complicated..." territory. "How do I get these Doobie Bros. albums in surround sound?" Well, you can't, unless you want to download them off the internet, presuming you have the capability and know how. "Can I buy stuff off Amazon or something?" Well yes, but probably only a handful of Elton John SACDs and maybe some King Crimson or Porcupine Tree. "What about all the surround albums I see on your shelf?" Well they're all out of print now, so you have to hunt them down on the internet and the popular ones cost fifty or a hundred bucks, or sometimes more.

You can see why, after a conversation like that, that the time and money investment for someone on the outside looking in seems totally prohibitive. Imagine something you like but aren't fanatical about, like TV for instance - imagine you can get 720p video of a decent amount of channels from your local cable company for a fair price, but in order to get 4K video you had to buy used copies of movies on eBay for $100. I think you'd probably be like '4K is cool, but life's too short and money's too tight (to mention), I'll stick with my 720p thanks.' This is the same challenge you face with getting stereo CD and vinyl listeners to even think about surround sound.

The point I'm getting at (this is the tl;dr) is that for surround to flourish, evergreen titles need to be plentiful and affordable. People shouldn't be giving their money to internet profiteers for a single rare disc, they should be buying five of them for the same price from a record label, so the artist and everyone involved in its creation can be rewarded. No one wants obscure titles more than me - give me Mongo at Montreux, give me Ain't No Bout-A-Doubt It, give me David Gates First - but having evergreen titles like Toulouse Street available in surround in perpetuity should be the rule and not the exception, so if this is the first of many, I welcome it. I want to be able to message my friends and be like "you know that album you love? Go to this website, you can buy it for 20 bucks, and there are two-dozen others to look at while you're there."

Not sure if this is a conversation piece or a "hey, I wanted to show you this to get you to leave my house" piece.

Thanks, I thought it added a certain understated je ne sais quoi contrast to the wall-to-wall Mapplethorpe photographs that adorned the other three walls.

If Toulouse Street is indeed part of batch #6 I hope it’s not just a straight copy of what’s in the Quadio (the stereo sound on that set disappoints).

Back