RHINO QUADIO batch #6 - Speculation Extravaganza!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm pretty much the same, even if I had more money to "upgrade", I'd feel it was wasted because my hearing (like everyone else at 65) has naturally degraded with age, and I'm unlikely to notice any significant increase in quality (certainly in the high frequency range) by spending vast sums of money on audiophile upgrades ... so I'm resigned to the fact that my best ears are behind me. :p
I am surprised how much hearing aids can do. I told my audiologist that I like music, so she gave me a MUSIC setting.

I don't have to turn the volume up too high, and I can tell if something is lossy. I can also tell which direction a sound is coming from, so I still enjoy surround sound.

Bose makes hearing aids that are cheaper and come with an equalizer app. I haven't tried them.

Back on Hearing Aids. Had them a couple years now and besides always having Bluetooth to my phone for calls and very noticeable audio quality sound improvement (of the highs) I love going to someone's house and making my own personal treble and bass adjustments without them knowing. Was their hi-fi setting wrong or is it just my ears. WHO CARES? I can fix it for myself, and no one is the wiser.

I knew that what you are saying can't possibly be true. A DR of only 4 or 5 would sound terrible! I had to rip this disc to see for myself (the box set version). I already had the other albums on the hard drive but originally skipped this one as all the tracks are on the other discs.
It shows a DR value of 13!

I don't know how you got such a low DR value but if a rip includes silent channels that will lower the DR value significantly. On the other hand digitally silent channels are ignored and won't reduce the DR value. I'm not familiar with ROON but it must be adding silent channels for compatibility.
I haven't analyzed dynamic range other than what ROON says. However, I do have lotsa multi-channel albums, and a quick review of a number of my favorites show dynamic ranges all the way up to 18. I'd be interested in others chiming in what their rips of the multi-channel Chicago IX shows in terms of dynamic range.

Quick question.. when listening to the quadio disc's, do you "force" your system to playing on the fronts and surround channels? Another words, turning off all your other speakers to get true quad. If I don't do that, my system will play it in atmos...

Quick question.. when listening to the quadio disc's, do you "force" your system to playing on the fronts and surround channels? Another words, turning off all your other speakers to get true quad. If I don't do that, my system will play it in atmos...
You can't turn off the atmos upmixer?

Which AVR or processor do you have? The name of the setting to use depends on the device but in general terms, to play 4 channels only use a Direct mode. Denon-Marantz call it Direct or Pure Direct. Pioneer & Onkyo call it the same. I don't know what Yamaha calls it.

Trinnov has a Native mode, whatever is on the disc is played with no surround upmixer.

Basically, to play only the 4 channels, you don't want an upmixer in use (Dolby Surround, Neural X, or Auromatic).

Back