RHINO QUADIO batch #6 - Speculation Extravaganza!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the old 5.1 DVDA of The Captain And Me which sounds great, so I'm probably in for Toulouse Street which has a fair number of hits. So far, all of the quadios I've purchased sound great on my dedicated quad setup, but none of the others in this batch hold enough appeal for me to buy, musically.
This appears to often be the case with every batch of quadio releases. There are the albums of interest and the others to be passed on by some of us surround fans. Interestingly, it’s often not all the same releases folks choose out of the four.

Last edited:
I for one am a little glad that Toulouse Street is in the next batch. Like most of us here, I already have the Doobies Quadio box, but I can still get the bundle deal by adding Gil Evans Svengali which is the only one from the previous batches I have yet to pick up. Sure, it’s not my kind of music but since I’m getting it bundled with the other 3 it’s going to amount to ~$5 which is totally fine by me!

Now.

Foghat - Energized
Jefferson Starship - Dragon Fly
Doobie Brothers - Toulouse Street
J. Geils Band - Bloodshot

Well what do you know ,...4 stellar quads , ......2 of which are unreleased!!

I'm afraid I have to pass on Toulouse Street . I have the Doobies box.
(Now if it contained some 'bonus quad' ??,.......Well., that would make it an instant purchase, for me anyway!)

Foghat-Energized and J Geils Bloodshot , when they arrive, should make my day.

Thanks Steve , and everyone at Rhino , I think we really appreciate these.

Ditto, Jeffie! Toulouse Street from the Doobies Quadio boxset sounds fantastic on my system so WHY duplicate?
It must be a sign that the DB albums still have a market untapped for hi-rez and quad. Apparently Rhino does not believe in illusions of “quad-blocked” by MFSL either. :geek:

Hopefully, some of the other potential rock titles for a Quadio release could still become reality in the future, like Deep Purple's Stormbringer oder James Gang's Miami. And Rod Stewart's Atlantic Crossing. We just have to be patient.

Is the release for the 25th just 1 disc/release?
Did I miss something? Will there be another Quadio release (single disc) on the 25th? Or is this related to the rumoured Alice Cooper box set for "Muscle of Love", which will include the Quad mix as well as some other unreleased stereo mixes?

The Doobies being a repeat and thus a disc out of the four to be declined as a purchase is only an issue for those that have bought every Quadio since the first bundle. Others who skipped a jazz title or Bette Midler or another BR can go back and snap up one of the other previous ones they are missing in the collection.
Yes, the mentioned "break-up" for the auto-buy of all titles only pertains to the people who did automatically buy every release so far (= collecting the whole series). I was under the impression that there are quite a few people who are willing to venture into new musical fields by simply just buying every bundle when it comes out. And a high percentage of those people might also already have the Doobies set.

For all others, who only select the titles that they really want, this apparently is not an issue at all.

But for Rhino, I think it was a nice thing to know that whatever they release, there are a number of people who always simply buy the whole lot on release day. I am assuming this number of customers will be decreasing with the new batch.

Quick question.. when listening to the quadio disc's, do you "force" your system to playing on the fronts and surround channels? Another words, turning off all your other speakers to get true quad. If I don't do that, my system will play it in atmos...
I play mine through my Oppo 105D. There ara a few (Carly Simin, e.g.) that default to Atmos, but the color buttons can select the quadio or stereo, and it switches fine.

How are you playing your discs?

Last edited:
Back