Simply random stuff

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gene you have I think a company car. Is the sound system decent or passable?
Those were my thoughts as well.

When I was driving 140-150 miles round trip to work every day in the Z28, strangely enough I ended up listening to NPR more than I did music.

That's what I do...listen to NPR. The only thing premium about the JBL Premium Audio System in my SUV was the price. So I'd rather listen to talking heads. Where do they find these people who design this crap?

Do you enjoy traveling (for work) for the most part?
For 11 years, I had a job that required me to make three or four national tours each year. We had offices in hellholes and in paradises, so it was always a mixed bag.

I trained installers and technicians on how to setup and service our CCTV products. The biggest headache was dealing with service managers who “forgot” I was coming. I didn’t nave the authority to fire them myself, but my report did go to the VP, who was usually on my side.

I got to keep my frequent flyer miles, which gave me a first-class trip to Italy, as well as flying my wife out to wherever I was for a weekend or a vacation that I could take in the middle of a two-week trip.

Then the Internet showed up, and I was pretty much grounded.

The travel could get to be a slog, especially when I had to deal with knucklehead service managers in shithole cities in the middle of winter (and some places get stupid cold for a Californian), but I missed doing it for a few years after I quit.

For 11 years, I had a job that required me to make three or four national tours each year. We had offices in hellholes and in paradises, so it was always a mixed bag.

I told you over and over and over that you should have been born filthy rich so you wouldn't have to deal with this kind of crap. But did you listen to me, barfle? No, of course you didn't!

There was a period of years when I was making two international business trips a month all over the world. All of this travel whether domestic or international wears you down, so I understand your pain.

I told you over and over and over that you should have been born filthy rich so you wouldn't have to deal with this kind of crap. But did you listen to me, barfle? No, of course you didn't!

There was a period of years when I was making two international business trips a month all over the world. All of this travel whether domestic or international wears you down, so I understand your pain.
For the most part, travelling was fine. We had an office in Honolulu, and since the trips were two weeks long, you have to spend the weekend somewhere, right? One trip I spent a weekend on the beach, and the next weekend skiing in Vermont. Beat that!

Hotel breakfasts are usually pretty good, and usually I stayed in decent lodgings like Courtyards.

Yeah, there’s a lot of sitting in the cheap seats on uncomfortable 737s (I know, that’s redundant), but then when you fly 100,000 miles a year, the airlines love you. Upgrading to upstairs on a 747 for free is a nice perk, not to mention paying almost nothing to go on vacation.

I think my luggage got delayed twice in eleven years and probably 600 flights. Not too bad.

For the most part, travelling was fine. We had an office in Honolulu, and since the trips were two weeks long, you have to spend the weekend somewhere, right? One trip I spent a weekend on the beach, and the next weekend skiing in Vermont. Beat that!
Beat that? Here goes:

We owned a plant in O'ahu. One of our vendors insisted that we join them for golf on one of the most beautiful courses I've ever seen.

How about three full days of skiing every year at Steamboat Springs tied to a vendor's annual conference? Then we sometimes sent equipment for repair to a vendor in Calgary, Alberta which just happened to be not so far from the ski resort at Lake Louise. Then there were the contractor in Denver who was into skiing.

So let's call it a draw before others on this forum try to kill us. :ROFLMAO:

Gene you have I think a company car. Is the sound system decent or passable?

When I was driving 140-150 miles round trip to work every day in the Z28, strangely enough I ended up listening to NPR more than I did music.
Yeah, decent. I often listen to a satellite channel that plays old time radio classics. Love it.

image.jpg

Victor, you have asked a very good question and have a very good observation.

I will speak for myself. As a member of QQ since 2014, QQ has opened me to a world of music that I could have never imagined. I am listening on a regular basis to artists that I would have never known about. Here in the San Francisco area we do not have good radio stations, we don't have MTV anymore, as it used to be, so if not for QQ, my musical tastes would be very narrow and not open minded.
Of course and everyone will agree, we purchase something that many say is great, and I find I don't like what others like. Just like I can have a favorite band but don't like one of their albums, etc. I am a 50/50 listener of stereo and surround. It depends on my mood, sometimes surround is to engaging for me and I prefer stereo, but when I can calm down, surround is where it is at.

Your observation of others always seeming to complain, I agree with you. My theory is that when others complain on QQ, not all the time of course, that they like to come across as "I am a very good audiophile of the highest standard and I can hear everything that is wrong all the time". I, of course would never call anyone out on that as that would not be nice, and for God's sake, it is just the internet, and we get what we get. All that said, I have made some wonderful friends on QQ and would highly recommend QQ to anyone who has an interest in music.
Marpow, I agree with you with the exception of the "we don't have any good radio stations in the San Francisco area" comment. Historically speaking, my family moved from Mission Viejo, CA to Sacramento, CA in 1973 when I was 5 years old. My mother and father were music lovers and encouraged me to seek out and have an appreciation for all genres. Luckily for me, dad had his Fisher receiver (the Fisher 200) wired into our rather large TV antenna (remember those lovely looking bird roosts!) on our roof and I was able to "dial in" radio stations from all over the state and at night, from other states too. As such, the stations that were otherwise unavailable to most without this antenna set up were readily available to me.

The San Francisco/Bay Area radio stations that I LUVED were KOME, KSJO, KSAN, etc. As I got older and my taste in music broadened, I also like the classical and jazz stations (many of those were on Public Radio) and the first of its kind alternative station, Live 105. We could go on and on and bemoan the fact that most, if not all, of these stations are now owned by massive conglomerates (Clear Channel, Entercom, Viacom and iHeartMedia, etc) but at least the Bay Area has several good to very good terrestrial radio stations that appeal to numerous tastes. Unfortunately, this diversity is NOT the norm in many parts of the US and California. The Bay Area also has several live music venues that are supported and support (symbiotic relationship) by the local radio stations. I cannot say the same thing about the greater Sacramento area.

As far as "audiophiles" are concerned, they are (and I too somewhat resemble one at times!) an interesting breed for sure. I find it amusing and sometimes a bit irritating when the discussions in this and other forums go immediately straight down the "rabbit hole" instead of at least circling a few times and thoughtfully taking in and processing the other viewpoints/perspectives before the-all so typical "no, you're wrong and here's why" response. I too LUV QQ as I have learned a TON as well as having my ears and senses turned back onto the music and for that, I am very grateful.

Yep. And, the company provides this truck for me. I don’t pay for my fuel, even personal miles.
Shall I disguise myself as one of your company's best customers, and lobby that they should install a high end audio system (including Atmos) in your truck? It's always important to keep the customers happy, you know.

images

Last Sunday, 22-year-old Ethan Katzberg from Nanaimo, B.C., became the first ever Canadian to win the gold medal in hammer throw, and became the event's youngest Olympic gold medallist in the process. Two days later, his gold was matched by 25-year-old Camryn Rogers from Richmond, B.C., in the women's hammer throw.

images

Last Sunday, 22-year-old Ethan Katzberg from Nanaimo, B.C., became the first ever Canadian to win the gold medal in hammer throw, and became the event's youngest Olympic gold medallist in the process. Two days later, his gold was matched by 25-year-old Camryn Rogers from Richmond, B.C., in the women's hammer throw.

Congratulations to these two competitors and the Canadian team. I love those classic Olympic sports like the hammer throw, shot put, pole vault, etc.

Break dancing while very athletic, difficult to do and amazing to watch, is yet another one of those sports that is at the mercy of the judges. I am always wary of those kinds of sports ever since that Russian / French figure skating conspiracy in 2002 screwed over the Canadian pair. Even people with no experience at judging figure skating were able to detect that something was very, very wrong. Fortunately, the Canadian pair was later awarded a second gold medal along with the Russian pair.

Back