Rhino Quadio Batch 5 for August 2024!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Received the bundle today from Warner Canada. They have greatly improved delivery time and it was bubble-wrapped inside a cardboard box!
LOL! Odd...mine was not bubble wrapped, they arrived in a fairly flimsy cardboard box, that essentially fit the size of the 4. Only, both sides with the fold in flap were not taped. That said, they arrived in perfect condition.

I wonder what that Sergio Mendes album sounds like in decoded quad? I have the CD-4 LP I picked up very cheaply many moons ago. I should play it in stereo to get a vague idea.
I listened to this the other night from CD-4 LP in stereo. Strong separation and decent sound overall. A near total snooze fest imo sorry to report. It lacks conviction and soul, just a contract obligation fulfilment album is all I heard.

Last edited:
Please, could someone tell me if the songs Everything I Own, Diary and Baby I'm-a Want You from the Bluray Quadio Bread, the Quadraphonic mix is exactly identical to the SACD Audio Fidelity - The Best of Bread of 2015? I want to know if the mixes are exactly the same, if there is any difference. Thank you.

I listened to this the other night from CD-4 LP in stereo. Strong separation and decent sound overall. A near total snooze fest imo sorry to report. It lacks conviction and soul, just a contract obligation fulfilment album is all I heard.
IMO, Sergio Mendes & Brazil '66's best albums reside in the A&M Records vaults now controlled by UMG and unfortunately, I fear most of their multitracks perished in the UMG conflagration in the early 00's

SERGIO MENDES -
Carnaval. Epic ECPN-20-SM (SQ) [Japan]
Gold Disc. Epic ECPD-10-SM (SQEP) [Japan]
{Mais Que Nada; Constant Rain; Fool on the Hill; Going Out of My Head}
Gold Disc, Sergio Mendes & Brasil '77. EPIC ECPN-24-SM (SQ) [Japan]
Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 - Greatest Hits. A&M 8Q-54252 (Q8),
Y8QAM 985 (Q8) [UK]
Mas Que Nada B/W Fool on the Hill. Epic ECPB-268-SM (SQ45) [Japan]
Sergio Mendes & Brasil '77 - Pack 20. EPIC ECPQ-7-SM (SQ) [Japan]
Sergio Mendes & Brasil '77-Live. EPIC [2 LP] ECPH 13/4 (SQ) [Japan]
Sergio Mendes. Elektra EQ-1027 (CD4), 8Q-1027 (Q8)

IMO, Sergio Mendes & Brazil '66's best albums reside in the A&M Records vaults now controlled by UMG and unfortunately, I fear most of their multitracks perished in the UMG conflagration in the early 00's

SERGIO MENDES -
Carnaval. Epic ECPN-20-SM (SQ) [Japan]
Gold Disc. Epic ECPD-10-SM (SQEP) [Japan]
{Mais Que Nada; Constant Rain; Fool on the Hill; Going Out of My Head}
Gold Disc, Sergio Mendes & Brasil '77. EPIC ECPN-24-SM (SQ) [Japan]
Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 - Greatest Hits. A&M 8Q-54252 (Q8),
Y8QAM 985 (Q8) [UK]
Mas Que Nada B/W Fool on the Hill. Epic ECPB-268-SM (SQ45) [Japan]
Sergio Mendes & Brasil '77 - Pack 20. EPIC ECPQ-7-SM (SQ) [Japan]
Sergio Mendes & Brasil '77-Live. EPIC [2 LP] ECPH 13/4 (SQ) [Japan]
Sergio Mendes. Elektra EQ-1027 (CD4), 8Q-1027 (Q8)
fwiw, there's really only 3 Quads here;

1.) Greatest Hits Q8 on A&M (U.S.),
2.) Live In Japan SQ LP on CBS (Japanese release reissued in various configurations numerous times & singles excerpted)
3.) Eponymous album (aka "I Believe" in some territories) CD-4 LP & Q8 on Elektra in the U.S.

fwiw i enjoy the album, it opens spryly with the breezy "Davy" and there's a fair few other similarly boppy tunes including a spirited "Here Comes The Sun", a smattering of Thom Bell & Linda Creed ("Let Them Work It Out"), a couple more reflective whimsical numbers including some Stevie Wonder covers ("I Believe When I Fall In Love", "All In Love Is Fair", "Lookin' For Another Pure Love") and a real tearjerker of a closer in Alan & Marilyn Bergman's "The Trouble With Hello Is Goodbye".

it's a smooth laid back record in its overall tone with some toe tappers and fine arrangements, solid production values (Produced by Dave Grusin, no less), a veritable who's who of musicians playing on all tracks including Chuck Rainey, Harvey Mason, David T. Walker and an accomplished Quad mix by Phil Schier (one of Quincy Jones' main men in the studio at that time) so nicely discrete you could tune your CD-4 demodulator to it.

i also can't imagine it was a contractual obligation since he had not long left CBS for Elektra but never mind, each to his own, i hope Rhino reissue it on Quadio Blu-ray in time but we shalll see, there's still a lot of ground for them to cover.

There were 23 singles released in the years around and including this album. You want know how many of them charted on the pop charts in the US? Zero! Two of them made only the R&B charts in the 50s range. That is a horrible showing of commercial sustainability for a major label act.

There was only one CBS album. A Capitol album, and some Elektra, Atlantic or WEA releases in just certain countries only. Sergio Mendes would not see any substantial chart action again at all until the 90's. He was definitely dancing around from label to label with some releases not getting US or an international release on LPs. The Brazil 'xx name would keep him coasting for a little while anyway.

I looked forward to hearing this album on my good stereo rig expecting great things. But I'm pretty sure hell will freeze over before this gets a Quadio release.

Last edited:
I'm with @fredblue - the self-title Sergio Mendes album might not set the world on fire, but it's a superbly performed and recorded set of songs, and one I'd be happy to have a Quadio release of it in my collection. Is it going to sell a million copies? No, but there's no reason not to expect it could sell one or two thousand copies, especially with the four-disc bundle discounts and discount codes that Rhino offer.

When you consider that Rhino is releasing 16 Quadio discs a year (plus whatever comes via box sets, deluxe editions and the like) and then rule out all the titles that are unavailable either because of artist approvals, contractual issues or missing tapes, how many viable titles are left in total? Three or four dozen? 50? 60? I think that's probably an optimistic estimate. Unless what former Rhino Handmade exec Cheryl Pawelski told journalist Mark Brown (and as related somewhere here on QQ) is true and there are one or two unreleased quad mixes for every released title, then it won't be too before titles like this have to be considered. Maybe not this year but why not next year or the year after? I'm not sure why anyone would advocate strongly for not releasing any of them - give us your poor yearning quads yearning to breathe free, give us your Sergio Mendes, your Stardrive, your David Gates, your Souther, Hillman Furay Band, give us your Tony Orlando and Dawn, give us your Mongo Santamaria at Montreux, we want them all.

I am totally disinterested in these latest quad releases. If this keeps up, I will not be buying more. Sorry.
It does strike me as a strange choice of albums, if for no other reason than I think only the Divine Ms. M. went platinum. So the albums were neither huge sellers nor critical darlings (as best as I can tell). That said, I was born when Quad, as a format, was dying, so maybe those with fond memories of the early 70's feel differently. I guess I'm more excited about the ATMOS releases as that has the chance to encompass a much wider spectrum of albums that I'm more likely to care about.

It does strike me as a strange choice of albums, if for no other reason than I think only the Divine Ms. M. went platinum. So the albums were neither huge sellers nor critical darlings (as best as I can tell). That said, I was born when Quad, as a format, was dying, so maybe those with fond memories of the early 70's feel differently. I guess I'm more excited about the ATMOS releases as that has the chance to encompass a much wider spectrum of albums that I'm more likely to care about.
I agree, of the 20 quadios so far i’ve bought 2
Of the 4 atmos releases i’ve bought 3

Happy 78th birthday today to Larry Graham!

1723632508857.png

I just got my delivery notice my set is arriving today, I have been giving it a week from release date to give the boys in the shipping dept a breather..........................BUT

Got an email that the restoration of my Sansui 9001 is complete with Mylar caps and the LED upgrade is ready to ship home......
WOOOO F'in WOOOOOOOOOOO

Back