RHINO QUADIO batch #6 - Speculation Extravaganza!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
courtesy of @edisonbaggins on Facebook ✌️😻

quadio6.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, wanted SPITFIRE over DRAGONFLY, but very happy with the latter! and anticipating SPITFIRE next year? ;)

"Caroline" is indeed a Balin winner on DRAGONFLY. Don't remember if it got much airplay other than the then current AOR FM stations, probably
because it is rather long for a single. Everyone seemed to like "Ride the Tiger" -- Paul was playing it until the end -- as did I, but I also liked
"That's For Sure" because of Grace's vocal input. By the late 70s Grace was out, but Balin was in for that great one-off single "Light the Sky on Fire"
which appeared during that very weird STAR WARS TV HOLIDAY SPECIAL on a Wookie video. It was included on a greatest hits collection, but never on a complete album.

Wonder if it is available in surround as an extra for one of the JS Quadios?

The notorious STAR WARS HOLIDAY SPECIAL video:

Last edited:
Well, since Baggie spilled the beans, I have to tell you all, you will be BLOWN AWAY by "Bloodshot". The quad mix is spectacular. From the first track on there is no doubt to anyone listening that this is a quadraphonic recording.

If you like rock, and are not familiar with this album (like me), you will find yourself in awe as you listen to it. The Foghat is good as well, but for me, the "Bloodshot" quad mix is stellar demo material.

I've found myself listening to that one the most out of all of the 4. (And they all sound great, by the way, but you already know and expect that)

Note - the other month Rhino issued a separate Atmos & Quadio disc for Chicago IX (Chicago's Greatest Hits). This was previously issued as part of the 9 disc Chicago Quadio set. I have both. In my ROON music software, it shows that the new Chicago IX Quadio averages dynamic range of 4, whereas the prior Chicago IX Quadio disc averages a dynamic range of 5. Wonder what gives here? And will this same dynamic range conundrum occur in the next week to be released of Doobie Brothers Toulouse Brothers Quadio compared to the prior Quadio release of this album?

Well, since Baggie spilled the beans, I have to tell you all, you will be BLOWN AWAY by "Bloodshot". The quad mix is spectacular. From the first track on there is no doubt to anyone listening that this is a quadraphonic recording.

If you like rock, and are not familiar with this album (like me), you will find yourself in awe as you listen to it. The Foghat is good as well, but for me, the "Bloodshot" quad mix is stellar demo material.

I've found myself listening to that one the most out of all of the 4. (And they all sound great, by the way, but you already know and expect that)
Great to hear! Bloodshot is my favorite J. Geils album and I was hoping this would be one of the new titles.

My bank account is happy! No need to purchase any of these. MoFi gets my money.

I'm definitely in for Dragonfly and already have DB Toulouse St in the box set. The other 2, mostly not my kind of music, perhaps I outgrew it :)While blues-rock like Zeppelin, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Clapton, etc I do like a lot, these 2 groups I've not been interested in. Other than maybe 1-2 songs on Bloodshot, I mostly find them annoying listening. Being in my 70's I do like some harder rock. Quad mixes can be great but if you don't like the music....I'm sampling Bloodshot again to see if more of it appeals but Foghat is a no.

For me, my interest was and is continuing to release ones that allow retiring problematic CD4 LP's. I'm waiting for JT Gorilla, Gordon Lightfoot Cold on the Shoulder, other S&C, Souther-Hillman-Furay, more jazz albums, Spitfire! Deep Purple Strombringer would be ok too.

Different strokes.

So this time around, it'll be either the 1 or 2 at most.

Last edited:
Note - the other month Rhino issued a separate Atmos & Quadio disc for Chicago IX (Chicago's Greatest Hits). This was previously issued as part of the 9 disc Chicago Quadio set. I have both. In my ROON music software, it shows that the new Chicago IX Quadio averages dynamic range of 4, whereas the prior Chicago IX Quadio disc averages a dynamic range of 5. Wonder what gives here? And will this same dynamic range conundrum occur in the next week to be released of Doobie Brothers Toulouse Brothers Quadio compared to the prior Quadio release of this album?
I knew that what you are saying can't possibly be true. A DR of only 4 or 5 would sound terrible! I had to rip this disc to see for myself (the box set version). I already had the other albums on the hard drive but originally skipped this one as all the tracks are on the other discs.
It shows a DR value of 13!

I don't know how you got such a low DR value but if a rip includes silent channels that will lower the DR value significantly. On the other hand digitally silent channels are ignored and won't reduce the DR value. I'm not familiar with ROON but it must be adding silent channels for compatibility.

Last edited:
Live At The Aquarius (first performance and second performance).

YES! I posted about this on Dec 4th, 2005:

I just got a copy of The Doors - Live At The Aquarius Theatre: The Second Performance as issued by the official Bright Midnight of Rhino. It is a nicely done 2 CD set of The Doors as they played on July 21st, 1969. All very nice to have and then suddenly I read this in the back of the booklet credits:

plenty of technical details including this juicy paragraph:

"The mix was performed digitally in Stereo and 5.1 Surround through a Sony DMX R100 console with reverb from a T.C. Electronic 6000. Loudspeakers used were B&W 801N's and the amplifiers are Ayre Acoustics V-1's with Nordost Super Flatline Cable loudspeaker wire. The stereo mix was sample rate converted using a DB Technology 3000s from 96kHz to 44.1kHz/16 bit which is the standard CD sampling and bit rate. The final stereo and 5.1 Surround mixes were recorded onto a Sonic Solutions HD System where they were edited and mastered."

So it's just a matter of time! 🍌

[2024 "still waiting" - David Byrne]

Last edited:
Back