Rhino Quadio Batch 5 for August 2024!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Technically, “You’re Getting Even While I’m Getting Odd” was their swan-song. But no Peter Wolf on that one…

That's true, but that was pretty much justa by- the -numbers album. Their equivalent to Clash Cut the Crap... or let's face it the "all the members but none of the inspiration"... Cars Door to Door.

I found a 1979 Rockpalast Germany concert of JGB and of course they were on fire. I wish I would have been old enough to see these guys in their prime...

That's kind of has been the thought around here--even though I'm not thrilled with all the selections, I'll probably order them all too just to keep the train moving. Finally, it appears we have a successful surround release going on--as now five batches attest.

Sorry to interrupt this here thread folks, but I've searched and searched...can someone give me the Spinners replacement disc catalog number? I've looked all over the place and can't seem to nail it down. Thanks in advance!
BA2 7256 is the replacement. It's also the number for the bad disc, so if you're about to order it, I don't think they're going to send you one of the defective copies.

YEAY!! 🥳😍

a brilliant batch and really diverse styles of Music so there's something for everyone!! 🙌❣️
Not for me there wasn’t, second batch in a row nothing appealled to me! Hoping for some rock or singer-songwriter next go ‘round. Oh well, happy Rhino is doing great with these and hope they continue, and maybe next batch will have something for my tastes .😊

Not for me there wasn’t, second batch in a row nothing appealled to me! Hoping for some rock or singer-songwriter next go ‘round. Oh well, happy Rhino is doing great with these and hope they continue, and maybe next batch will have something for my tastes .😊

i'm sorry to hear that there's nothing for you this time round or in the previous bundle 😔 hopefully there'll be something for you in the next bundle coming along after this upcoming bundle! i'm guessing that'll be in time for Christmas!? 🙏

fwiw while i'm very keen for some Quadio James Taylor, Eagles, Carly Simon, etc., i'm trying to be realistic about the Warner/Elektra/Atlantic/Reprise label Quads that are actually available to Rhino at this point and hoping for at least some of those records to materialise.

tbh there weren't a ton of Quads on those labels in the first place, the WEA stable issued a lot less Quads than Epic/Columbia and associated CBS labels in the 70's but there are still a number of WEA gems not yet given the Quadio treatment, including "Intergalactic Trot" by Stardrive Featuring Robert Mason, Deaf School "2nd Honeymoon", the 1975 Self-titled Sergio Mendes album, Arlo Guthrie's "Last Of The Brooklyn Cowboys", Dionne Warwick "Then Came You", Maria Muldaur "Waitress In A Donut Shop", more Gordon Lightfoot (x1), more Randy Newman (x1), more Spinners (x2), more Graham Central Station (x1), more Seals & Crofts (x3), more Jefferson Starship (x3), more Hot Tuna (x2), James Gang "Miami", David Gates solo (x2), Souther Hillman Furay Band (x2 albums in Quad).. 🤞

Time for repeat artists? :)

How about Seals and Croft Diamond Girl with "Windflowers" tacked on like they did for ELP " Lucky Man" :)

And then top it off with Jefferson Starship Spitfire. Has the hit single (WYL) and some great Moog/ARP tunes that would make for great quad listening.

But I'm sure we'll hear from someone like JT or Ol' Blue Eyes himself before that happens.

Last edited:
Time for repeat artists? :)

How about Seals and Croft Diamond Girl with "Windflowers" tacked on like they did for ELP " Lucky Man" :)

And then top it off with Jefferson Starship Spitfire. Has the hit single (WYL) and some great Moog/ARP tunes that would make for great quad listening.

But I'm sure we'll hear from someone like JT or Ol' Blue Eyes himself before that happens.
"Diamond Girl" & "Spitfire" Quadio's would be great! 🙏

"Windflowers" is in Quad on the "Unborn Child" album iirc, they could just do that album in Quadio maybe? 🤷🏻‍♀️

Sinatra's Reprise Quads are now under the auspices of Universal, so i can't see Rhino doing those in Quadio unless they license them?

"Windflowers" is in Quad on the "Unborn Child" album iirc, they could just do that album in Quadio maybe? 🤷🏻‍♀️
I’m really hoping for a Quadio of Unborn Child. I think Diamond Girl is a given at some point, but I know over the years there’s been some controversy over the title track of Unborn Child which may stand in the way of a release.

I don’t think it’s been reissued very often since its initial release but it is available on streaming so maybe that’s a good sign?

There are some very strong hit albums yet to arrive in the series. There are those jazz albums, several very hot ones musically. There are those previously unissued quad mixes. And there are those that were previously out in one form or another like Stormbringer. And then there are the surprises that Rhino has distribution rights to, yet we do not yet know about because it’s not a WEA catalog item.

I can see Billy Cobham “Spectrum” getting a quad reissue later on in the series. It’s too much of a classic fusion album to be left on the back burner forever.

But I’m happy with the Quadio line so far. Lots of folks on forums said they wanted soft-rock, and stuff like Gordon Lightfoot. I’m happy they are getting what they want in that regard. And I’ve gotten my top picks as well.

We’ve got those additional rock albums to go yet. And barely a week away from orders for the brand new ones!!!

My cup runneth over.

Last edited:
I’m really hoping for a Quadio of Unborn Child. I think Diamond Girl is a given at some point, but I know over the years there’s been some controversy over the title track of Unborn Child which may stand in the way of a release.

I don’t think it’s been reissued very often since its initial release but it is available on streaming so maybe that’s a good sign?
Probably the fact that the two singles from the album stiffed - charting at #60 and #63 respectively, and the group's career cooled off considerably after this release, is a good reason the album is anchored in at the bottom of the priority list. Musically the album is not so bad overall. Previous sessions used drummers Jim Gordon and Jim Keltner, and here Jeff Porcaro is on the kit for all tracks, such a hot drummer. The album utilized a very accomplished producer/sideman in Louis Shelton. Everything here lines up perfectly as another Billboard Top 10 album, and then they had to go and ruin it by forcing the album be named after that cut. They could have left the song on the album, but changed the album title and cover art to "Windflowers" - and also chosen a different single than "King of Nothing" and things might be very different. Warner Bros. strongly suggested a different album title, but group insisted.

Think about it, albums titled "Summer Breeze" "Diamond Girl" and "Windflowers" - a rather stunning trio of hot selling platinum albums.

Last edited:
Ah...so there is another JGB quad. I read somewhere that Nightmares was the only one... But Bloodshot indeed shows a quad release and there's some good stuff on here too.

Ah...so there is another JGB quad. I read somewhere that Nightmares was the only one... But Bloodshot indeed shows a quad release and there's some good stuff on here too.
“Bloodshot” shows as an unreleased quad master. But it has been confirmed and is located in the tape library. Interest is high for getting this one out.

Last edited:
i'm sorry to hear that there's nothing for you this time round or in the previous bundle 😔 hopefully there'll be something for you in the next bundle coming along after this upcoming bundle! i'm guessing that'll be in time for Christmas!? 🙏

fwiw while i'm very keen for some Quadio James Taylor, Eagles, Carly Simon, etc., i'm trying to be realistic about the Warner/Elektra/Atlantic/Reprise label Quads that are actually available to Rhino at this point and hoping for at least some of those records to materialize.

tbh there weren't a ton of Quads on those labels in the first place, the WEA stable issued a lot less Quads than Epic/Columbia and associated CBS labels in the 70's but there are still a number of WEA gems not yet given the Quadio treatment, including "Intergalactic Trot" by Stardrive Featuring Robert Mason, Deaf School "2nd Honeymoon", the 1975 Self-titled Sergio Mendes album, Arlo Guthrie's "Last Of The Brooklyn Cowboys", Dionne Warwick "Then Came You", Maria Muldaur "Waitress In A Donut Shop", more Gordon Lightfoot (x1), more Randy Newman (x1), more Spinners (x2), more Graham Central Station (x1), more Seals & Crofts (x3), more Jefferson Starship (x3), more Hot Tuna (x2), James Gang "Miami", David Gates solo (x2), Souther Hillman Furay Band (x2 albums in Quad).. 🤞
I wonder what that Sergio Mendes album sounds like in decoded quad? I have the CD-4 LP I picked up very cheaply many moons ago. I should play it in stereo to get a vague idea.

Back